Towson girls basketball rallies from big deficit against Lansdowne to win in overtime

Towson High scored the final 11 points in the last 2:50 of regulation to tie the Lansdowne girls, 41-41, and the host Generals (14-8) prevailed in overtime, 48-45, in the Class 3A North sectional basketball semifinals.

Towson trailed 41-30 when Audra Lucas made a three-pointer to start the run with 2:50 left in the fourth quarter.

The Generals still trailed, 41-33, until a basket by Daija Fitchett (game-high 16 points) made it 41-35 with 1:12 remaining.

Erin Steinberg’s steal led to a basket and her three-pointer with 42 seconds made it 41-40 and Steinberg (13 points) sent it to overtime when she made the second of two free throws with 2.1 seconds left in regulation.

“The weight of the world was on her shoulders and she pulled through,” Towson coach Rebecca Cahall said.

Steinberg also made the first basket in overtime on a layup and the Generals made 5 of 6 free throws to seal the victory.

Samiya Esema, who was promoted from the JV, scored all four points for Lansdowne in overtime.

Jasmine Schouster (13 points) and Asia Smith (11) led the Vikings (7-10), who made five three-pointers, but none in the fourth quarter or overtime.

Jesse Trott, Courtney Austin and De’Ara Washington all made three-pointers for the Vikings in the first half when they built a 23-13 halftime lead.

“We did not play very well in the first half,” Cahall said.

Smith made sure the Generals didn’t get any closer in the third quarter when she canned two treys and the Vikings led 33-20 at the break.

When Austin converted a fastbreak layup, off a pass from Schouster, the Vikings led 41-30 with 3:05 left and hopes for a Towson comeback looked bleak.

But not for senior Lucas.

“We knew as a team we could come back and do it and we just came back,” Lucas said. “It was being aggressive, it was giving 110 percent every minute of the game.”

Lansdowne’s Washington, who was also promoted from the JV, left the game with an injury with 1:20 left in the game and the Vikings leading, 41-33.

Towson finished with an 8-0 run while she was on the bench.

After Steinberg missed the first free throw with 2.1 seconds left, Moyer had some words for her reserves.

“I looked at the bench and I told the girls, ‘She’s got this, she’s got this next one,’ ” Moyer said. “I’m speechless right now. I’m so proud of them. That was all them.”

In the overtime, Lansdowne still had a chance to tie after a steal by Esema with 12 seconds left, but a long three-pointer by Austin bounced off the rim and was rebounded by Lucas.

After the game, Lucas celebrated with a cracked tooth that came after a collision in overtime and bag of ice for her sore knee.

“If feels good, everything was worth it,” Lucas said. “I’m just really happy for my team.”


Towson 48

Daija Fitchett 16, Erin Steinberg 13, Rebecca Grim 6, Audra Lucas 5, Anna Lucas 5, Bernadette Brezinski 3.

Lansdowne 45

Jasmine Schouster 13, Asia Smith 11, Courtney Austin 7, Samiya Esema 6, De’Ara Washington 5, Jessie Trott 3.

Halftime: Lansdowne 23-13

End regulation: Tied 41-41

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad