Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Agents question North Carolina man discovered with missing Baltimore County girl

The Baltimore Sun
Jasmine Baker is safe and was recovered by FBI in Raleigh, N.C.

A 12-year-old Perry Hall girl found safe in North Carolina on Friday after having gone missing since Tuesday has returned to Maryland, and federal officers have questioned the North Carolina man she was with, Baltimore County Police said Saturday.

Police said in a release Saturday morning that Federal Bureau of Investigation agents returned Jasmine Leighlin Baker home to Maryland. FBI agents found her unharmed at about 10:30 p.m. in a residence in the Raleigh area, officials said. Baker was slated to be interviewed by the Baltimore County Police Department's Crimes Against Children Unit and then returned to her family, police said.

An FBI spokeswoman provided no additional information about how the girl wound up in North Carolina or whether any arrests had been made in the case. Officials said that Jasmine was in the company of a North Carolina man believed to be in his 30s. Police said the suspect, whose identity has not been released, has been questioned and remains in custody of federal officers.

The sixth-grade girl had last been seen Tuesday morning when she left her home in the 4200 block of Soth Ave. for her usual walk to Perry Hall Middle School. She never made it to class. Federal investigators joined state and Baltimore County law enforcement agencies in the search Wednesday.

Law enforcement agencies initially appeared to focus their efforts locally. The FBI said earlier in the week that it was working to put up billboards advertising Baker's disappearance in the Baltimore area.

County police said they had received about 50 tips in the case but none had led to the girl. Bloodhounds searched her neighborhood, the area around her father's Baltimore home, and locations mentioned by tipsters. Investigators also checked with hotels in White Marsh and reviewed surveillance footage from area businesses.

The girl has never run away before, police said. Officials said she did not take a phone, charger or extra clothing when she left for school.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad