Baltimore County emergency crews responding to a carbon monoxide call at a Fullerton apartment complex found a woman holding an unconscious baby outside the building, then pulled an unconscious woman from a unit, a Fire Department spokeswoman said.
About 1:25 p.m., crews found extremely high readings of carbon monoxide inside the complex in the 7500 block of Twincrest Court. At 7508 Twincrest, firefighters found 900 parts per million of the gas -- a life-threatening amount, said spokeswoman Elise Armacost. In the adjacent building, 7510 Twincrest, the level was 375 ppm.
The 11-month-old baby, a 20-year-old woman and the 44-year-old unconscious woman, who was pulled from Unit C of 7508 Twincrest, were taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Armacost said. The older woman, who like the baby was in critical condition, was later transferred to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, she said.
A 62-year-old man who lives in Unit D of 7508 Twincrest was taken to Franklin Square Hospital Center.
Six other people were evaluated by medic crews but not transported, Armacost said.
The building management, Hirschfeld Management, was on the scene and working with crews to find the source of the problem, Armacost said.
No carbon monoxide detectors were found in the affected apartments, she said.
An earlier version of this article misstated the number of victims and the hospitals they were taken to. The Sun regrets the error.