Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Authorities investigate death of teen originally from city

Officials are trying to establish whether a 16-year-old boy whose mutilated body was found last week in an affluent Massachusetts suburb was trying to make his way back to Baltimore after a move to North Carolina.

Remains found last week in a secluded area of Milton, Mass., were confirmed through fingerprints to be that of 16-year-old Delvonte Tisdale, according to the Norfolk County district attorney's office.

Tisdale had been reported missing by his father in North Mecklenburg, N.C., hours before the body was discovered.

According to news reports, the teen's shirtless, shoeless body was so badly damaged that an autopsy was unable to determine the cause of death. Authorities found a school hall pass that appeared to have his name on it, said David Traub, a spokesman for the district attorney.

Officials from Massachusetts traveled to Charlotte, N.C., and collected fingerprint samples that were eventually used to identify the body.

A half brother in Baltimore, 18-year-old Craig Tisdale, speculated that he might have hitched a ride with two friends headed for Boston, with the idea of being dropped off in Baltimore, according to The Boston Globe.

The district attorney's office was asking anyone in Baltimore with information to call 781-830-4800, ext. 215.

"He moved from Baltimore a couple of years ago, but he still has family there," Traub said. "We're specifically requesting that anyone who might have information about the period just before his death to contact us."

Public records indicated that Tisdale's father had previously lived in the Harwood neighborhood of North Baltimore, near Charles Village. Reached by The Sun, a sister in Baltimore, whose Facebook posts about the death were widely disseminated in media reports, declined to comment.

Tisdale was a popular student at North Mecklenburg High School, where he was a sophomore member of the Air Force Junior ROTC program, according to reports. A relative told a Charlotte TV station that the teen was unhappy in North Carolina and had run away several times.

Neighbors told The Globe that his father was a chef who forbade his children from listening to rap music or wearing baggy pants. Tisdale had no history of trouble with the law.

Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said he was not aware of whether Massachusetts or North Carolina authorities had contacted the department for assistance. Traub also could not say to what extent Baltimore might fit into the investigation.

Tisdale was reported missing in North Carolina just before 6 p.m. Nov. 14, and authorities in Massachusetts found his body at about 9:30 p.m. the same day in the first block of Brierbrook St.

"This must be a surreal situation to have your son go to bed on Sunday night and wind up dead in such a violent manner hundreds of miles from his home the next day," Milton Police Chief Richard G. Wells said in an e-mail to the Globe.

Bltimore Sun reporters Justin Fenton and Yeganeh June Torbati contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad