Lombard Street was closed for about three hours between Greene and Penn streets Friday afternoon due to a coolant gas leak at the University of Maryland Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said.
A contractor working in the basement broke off a valve to a refrigeration system in a tank that holds coolant gas, said the spokeswoman, Sharon Boston.
The gas can be an irritant, so as a precaution the haz-mat team from the city fire department is venting the gas outside, she said. They were also plugging the leak, she said.
Lombard Street was closed to accommodate the emergency equipment, Boston said.