Last of National Guard troops to leave Baltimore

The remaining National Guard troops are expected leave Baltimore Tuesday.

The National Guard troops who were deployed to Baltimore to after the riots last week have left the streets, a spokesman said, and the last of them are expected to complete their mission Tuesday.

About 1,400 remained on duty Monday morning, Col. Charles S. Kohler said, but they were in various stages of demobilization.

"It's a very fluid situation," he said. The troops are no longer "out manning the streets," he said, but "some are available if needed."

Kohler said the remaining troops are completing duties such are packing away equipment and performing maintenance on vehicles.

Gov. Larry Hogan activated the guard last Monday, the day of Freddie Gray's funeral, after crowds in the city became violent. By Saturday, 3,000 guardsmen were supporting police.

Gray, 25, died April 19 after suffering a severe spinal cord injury in police custody.

His death led to days of protests. A confrontation between students and police last Monday in Mondawmin erupted into violence; crowds through rocks at police, looted businesses and set fires.

Some 200 businesses were damaged. Police said Monday they had made 486 arrests linked to the unrest.

On Friday, Baltimore's top prosecutor announced charges against all six police officers involved with Gray's arrest.

The move eased tensions and led to celebratory rallies in the city, but arrests continued as people broke a citywide curfew. The curfew required all city residents to stay indoors between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake lifted the curfew Sunday and the National Guard began to withdraw, Kohler said.

The city remained under a state of emergency on Monday. A spokeswoman for Hogan said Monday morning that the emergency would soon be lifted.

jkanderson@baltsun.com

twitter.com/janders5

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
30°