Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

Charges dropped against activist banned from City Hall

Baltimore City prosecutors on Monday quietly dropped all charges against activist Kim A. Trueheart, whom police banned last month from City Hall and arrested as she tried to enter the building.

Online court records show the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office dropped charges of trespassing, disorderly conduct and failing to obey an officer in Baltimore district court. A spokesman for the city prosecutors' office confirmed that information Tuesday.

The spokesman, Mark Cheshire, said prosecutors made the decision to dismiss the case after "a thorough review of all the evidence." He declined to elaborate.

Trueheart did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but her attorney praised the decision.

"We fully expected her to be exonerated. That was the only right thing to do," said Trueheart's attorney, J. Wyndal Gordon. "There was no reason for them to arrest her in the first place."

Last month, Trueheart, 55, of Baltimore rejected prosecutors' deal that would have put her charges on an inactive docket. Trueheart said she did nothing wrong and wanted the opportunity to be cleared of wrongdoing. At that hearing, District Judge Gregory Sampson lifted a ban that prevented Trueheart from entering City Hall.

Police office arrested Trueheart, a vocal critic of Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's administration, on Jan. 23 and told her that she'd been banned from the building for previous "disorderly" behavior. According to the police report, Trueheart was asked Jan. 16 not to come back to City Hall by Lt. Rob Morris after she disrupted a Rawlings-Blake news conference.

Rawlings-Blake has said the ban "was a decision that the Police Department made" and that she believed the charges should have been dropped.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad