Hopkins student helps catch suspected burglar

When Christina Warner looked up, the man ducked down.

She was with sorority sisters and police on a Citizens on Patrol safety walk Tuesday night on Guilford Avenue. He was on the roof of a rowhouse in Charles Village. She thought it seemed suspicious.

The 21-year-old Johns Hopkins University senior told a Baltimore officer, who called in squad cars and a helicopter with a spotlight, and the man was quickly arrested three stories above the street.

Warner's quick thinking helped police arrest a man they had been looking for since September on suspicion that he'd broken into a house in Charles Village occupied by Hopkins women's lacrosse players. The man has a string of convictions dating back three decades and had been released from prison two months ago.

For Warner, a senior writing major who is applying to law schools, the routine outing with police turned exciting. "I did not expect to see this," she said.

Crime has been an issue for residents in Charles Village, a mix of homeowners and students who live near the university in North Baltimore.

Warner, who co-edits the student newspaper, said she has not been a crime victim during her four years at Hopkins, but "a lot of my friends have had stuff taken from their houses and cars."

Police identified the man caught on the roof as Glen Davis, 56, of the 2000 block of W. Lanvale St. He has more than two dozen criminal cases in district and circuit courts in Baltimore, and several convictions involving burglary, theft and other nonviolent crimes.

Davis was convicted of breaking into a business in 1993 and of burglary in 1995 and 1998, court records show. The longest prison sentence he served was three years; judges imposed longer sentences but suspended most of the time.

He was arrested in August and charged with fourth-degree burglary and possession of burglar tools. Charging documents say a man noticed him on a neighbor's back porch trying to pry open a door. The incident occurred about 1:30 a.m. in the 2900 block of Wyman Parkway in Remington, adjacent to Charles Village and just south of the Hopkins campus and the Baltimore Museum of Art.

Police said Davis was caught with two screwdrivers. He pleaded guilty Sept. 14 and was sentenced to three years in prison. But the judge suspended all but 13 days, and he was released, having served the two weeks he spent in jail leading up to his plea agreement. He was put on two years of probation.

On Sept. 29, a Hopkins security guard stopped Davis in the 3000 block of N. Calvert St., after seeing him using a flashlight to peer into homes, according to a city police report. The guard pulled a camera from the man's pocket, according to the report, and found pictures of the lacrosse players on it.

Police said a house where several players lived had been broken into through a kitchen door. But the police report said that by the time city officers arrived, the Hopkins security guard had released the man. The victims identified Davis from mug shots and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He was caught Tuesday night, police said, when Warner spotted him on the Guilford Avenue rooftop. Police said they are investigating possible connections to other burglaries in the area.

Davis was being held Wednesday at the Baltimore City Detention Center on $5,000 bail. Public defenders who had represented him in previous cases did not return calls seeking comment. Davis' mother said she did not want to talk.


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad