Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

9 people hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at hotel near BWI

Nine people required medical treatment following a carbon monoxide leak at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport hotel in Linthicum Sunday afternoon.

At around 1:30 p.m., fire officials detected high levels of carbon monoxide after a paramedic was initially called to the hotel, at 1100 Old Elkridge Landing Road, to treat an employee who reported feeling faint, said Lt. Russ Davis, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. Fire crews then evacuated the hotel, which had 64 occupied rooms. The total number of people evacuated was unknown.

"There were high levels all throughout the building," Davis said. "All seven stories."

The levels of carbon monoxide in some parts of the hotel were high enough to cause serious injury within two hours of exposure, fire officials said Monday morning.

Twenty people were identified as having suffered possible carbon monoxide poisoning, according to fire department officials. Four employees who worked in the hotel's laundry room, including the individual who the paramedic first treated, were transported to Maryland Shock Trauma.

An additional four employees and a guest were taken to a local hospital.

Davis said the building was fully ventilated at around 5:30 p.m, but hotel management is not allowing guests to return Sunday night.

The source of the leak has not been identified.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad