Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Suspected shoplifter drowns while fleeing from Arundel Mills security

Anne Arundel County Police said that a body recovered from a pond near Arundel Mills in Hanover early Tuesday morning was that of an accused shoplifter who had run from security at the mall and jumped into a nearby pond.

In a release on Tuesday morning, officials said that just before 9 p.m. on Monday firefighters and paramedics responded to the 7000 block of Arundel Mills Circle after a report of an individual in the water, which they later described as a three-acre, storm water runoff pond that was as much as approximately 20 feet deep.

Police said further investigation revealed the individual was a male that fled the mall on foot after being pursued by mall security officers in a shoplifting incident. Mall security officials reported seeing the male enter the pond and then begin swimming, ignoring calls from security to return to the side of the pond.

Reports indicated the male appeared to dive head first down into the pond but did not resurface, police said.

During rescue efforts, police said, the male was located deceased underwater in the middle of the pond. The body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

Police said that the alleged shoplifter fled the scene from mall security on foot then upon jumping into the marsh swam out of sight of security. Anne Arundel fire personnel checked the area but were unable to find the suspect initially. After an extensive search, a body was recovered before 1 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

In a separate incident, Anne Arundel County fire crews reported a drowning in Odenton.

Officials said that at 9 p.m. on Monday firefighters responding to an incident at the 500 block of Bruce Avenue in Odenton discovered a 57-year-old man that had been removed from a pool by bystanders, who police said performed CPR.

Police said despite resuscitation efforts by firefighters and paramedics the man was declared dead at the scene.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad