Officials: Gas stove caused carbon monoxide leak in Severn that sent 12 to hospital

A carbon monoxide leak that sent 12 people to the hospital was caused by an unattended gas stove, Anne Arundel County fire officials said Thursday.

In a news release, the county fire department said that six adults and six minors were evacuated from a home in the 1500 block of Ringe Drive in Severn on Wednesday and taken to the hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials initially said 13 people were sent to the hospital.

Firefighters had originally came to the home for a report of a medical emergency at 4:48 p.m.

When paramedics were evaluating the patient, “a small carbon monoxide detector attached to the medical bag carried by the paramedics alerted them” to concentrated carbon monoxide levels in the home, the department said.

All residents and responders were evacuated from the house, the department said, and while all 12 were taken to the hospital, only one person who had been in the home most of the day displayed carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

Further investigation found that the source of the carbon monoxide was a gas stove inside the home, the department said.

None of the 12 had symptoms believed to be life-threatening, the department wrote.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
43°