The Kent Island High School junior varsity lacrosse team will be forfeiting all games of the 2018 season after a video emerged last week of team members assaulting another student.
Queen Anne’s County Public Schools Superintendent Andrea Kane announced Friday the rest of the 2018 season would be canceled. This included the game scheduled Friday.
Kane said the cancellation was a result of the video.
WMAR Baltimore described the video as showing a group of male students putting their genitals in the face of another male student.
The students involved in the incident have not been identified, and the Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office is investigating.
Not all of the players were involved but a “significant number were actively or passively engaged in highly inexcusable behavior,” Kane wrote in a letter.
“This type of behavior will not be tolerated for any athletic team or student group within Queen Anne’s County Public Schools,” Kane wrote. “The behavior on the video, which was witnessed by thousands of people via social media and the news media, is not condoned and will not be ignored.”
Because the video was shared online, Kane encouraged parents to monitor their children’s social media feeds.
Kane’s letter Friday is the second since Wednesday, when she sent a note home to parents alerting them about the video. Parents have expressed outrage on the Queen Anne’s County Facebook page.
Kane did not respond to requests for comment.
Queen Anne’s County Sheriff Gary Hofmann released a statement Friday, explaining his office would forward the results to the county’s State’s Attorney’s Office.
He declined to provide any further details about the investigation or the incident, saying those involved were minors.
The community will be kept informed, Hofmann said.