Deputies investigate assault involving Kent Island High lacrosse team

Queen Anne’s County sheriffs deputies are investigating the alleged assault of a student by several other students inside a locker room at Kent Island High School.

In a statement posted on Facebook Tuesday, Sheriff Gary Hofmann said his office and the county State’s Attorney’s Office became aware of the incident Sunday after being alerted to a cell phone video made by a student.

Wednesday the school system’s Director of Operations Sid Pinder said officials are still identifying students in the video and still interviewing people as part of their investigation. He said coaches at the school have spoken with their players about appropriate behavior. WMAR Baltimore described the video as showing a group of male students putting their genitals in the face of another male student.

Queen Anne’s County Public Schools Superintendent Andrea Kane sent a letter to parents and caregivers Wednesday about the incident involving members of the boys lacrosse team, saying they are aware of a video that shows a student “being subjected to inappropriate and unacceptable acts by peers.” They’ve offered support to the student and are investigating the incident, she said.

The incident has roiled the high school community, with numerous parents calling for action against those involved. Numerous comments have been made in recent days on Kent Island Happenings, a community Facebook page.

Chester resident Angela Miller was waiting to pick up her daughter outside of the school Wednesday. She said she is outraged by the incident.

Queen Anne’s State’s Attorney Lance Richardson said the investigation is active — they will consider whether or not any juvenile referrals will be made when it is complete.

Hofmann said a criminal investigation is underway and his office is working with Richardson and county school officials. County school officials are also investigating the incident.

“We wish all to be compassionate and understanding for the victim and school as this investigation proceeds,” Hofmann wrote.

The sheriff’s statement followed the same day his deputies were called to the school to investigate a bomb threat found inside of a girls bathroom around 10 a.m.

Students were evacuated from the school while K-9s swept the building. Nothing was found and students were allowed back into the building.

This article has been updated to correct the date the sheriff’s office posted a statement.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad