There is a new sign on Ritchie Highway.
Backfins Grille Restaurant and Bar, 7514 Ritchie Hwy., held its grand opening Saturday, following a soft opening earlier in May.
The La Fontaine Bleue complex takes a crack at Maryland-style seafood with the opening of its new establishment, which also offers steaks, pasta, quesadillas, hamburgers and vegetarian meals.
Manager Tommy Carr said La Fontaine Bleue took a look at what they’d offered in the past, and decided to open its own restaurant.
“We used to have an Indian restaurant which was renting the space, but there wasn’t much market for that in Glen Burnie,” Carr said. “We decided to take a new approach with seafood.”
Former restaurant Bombay Bleues left a few months ago.
The interior of the restaurant underwent a makeover, with new branding and a bit of modernization. A selfie-capable jukebox, sound system and several TVs are among the improvements.
Seating for 22 is available at the bar, and the dining area accommodates approximately 100 people.
The restaurant’s signature dish is a jumbo lump crabcake, which Carr said pairs well with the restaurant’s signature “bam sauce”— mild, with a hint of sriracha, served on the side.
Steamed crabs are offered by the dozen for dine-in or carry-out in five sizes. Carr said he hopes to expand the menu to ensure there is something for everyone.
Many of the restaurant’s employees, including Carr, also work for La Fontaine Bleue. Carr said the restaurant will make La Fontaine Bleue more open to the public, rather than simply for large banquet affairs. While the restaurant does not have a private room for parties, Carr said reservations for groups or office parties are welcome.
The group plans to open a bakery next door to the restaurant.
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/BackfinsGrille or call 443-883-3547.
Rejoice Fellowship, 7606 Quarterfield Road, will host its Strawberry Festival 8 a.m.–2 p.m. June 9.
The event will feature cake topped with vanilla ice cream and strawberries, as well as a lunch of hot dogs, barbecue, salads and beverages. Baked goods will be sold, and a white elephant sale and flea market will be held.
Outside spaces will be available to rent. Proceeds will support church projects. For more information, call 410-760-3084 or visit www.rejoiceelca.org.
Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Company, 1012 Bell Ave., will hold a Sunday bingo June 10. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. Play begins at 1 p.m.
The admission package costs $30 and includes a 12-pack for 36 games and a lunch of turkey, mashed potatoes and green beans. Additional 12-packs cost $15 and 6-packs cost $10. Early Birds, Quickies, Either/Or and Winner Take All will be sold separately. Admission purchased in advance will receive a free Early Bird.
For more information, call Paul McGinnis at 443-790-8076 or Tori Hagedorn at 443-618-5431 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Car, truck, bike show
The Harry Cooper VFW Post 160, 2597 Dorsey Road, will host its eighth annual car, truck and bike show June 10. Registration is 10 a.m.–12:30 p.m. and is open to all years, makes and models. Awards will begin at approximately 3 p.m.
The family friendly event is the post’s largest fundraiser, and supports projects such as Honor Flights visiting the post. Food vendors, a bake sale, door prizes, music, 50-50 as well as a Chinese auction will be offered.
Admission is free. Registration of a vehicle is $15.
For more information, call Charles Ferrell at 443-520-3585 or email email@example.com.
Messiah welcomes new pastor
Messiah United Methodist Church, 7401 E. Furnace Branch Road, welcomes Rev. Ben Rigsby as its new pastor at 10:30 a.m. July 1.
Rigsby has been pastor at First United Methodist Church in Archer City, Texas for two years. During seminary, Rigsby took on a small, rural church as youth pastor at University Park Methodist in Dallas. He is married with two children.
For more information, call the church at 410-761-1944.
Good Shepherd Church, 1451 Furnace Ave., will hold Bingo Blast on July 8. Doors open at 12:30 p.m. Play is 2–5 p.m.
Admission is $20 and includes a chicken platter, beverages, regular cards and specials. For more information or to reserve a table, call 410-761-8291.
Harundale Presbyterian Church, 1020 Eastway, will hold its vacation Bible school 6–8:30 p.m. July 9–13 with the theme “Rolling River Rampage”.
The program is open to children ages three through completed fifth grade. A dinner will be offered beginning at 5:30 p.m. The cost of the dinner is $2.
For more information, visit http://harundalepc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2018VBS.jpg.
- The student ministries at Faith Baptist Church, 7378 E. Furnace Branch Road, will hold a car wash fundraiser 9 a.m –2 p.m. June 9.
- On June 10, sing old favorites or learn new hymns at the church’s old fashioned hymn sing.
- Registration is open for Upward soccer for kids in kindergarten through sixth grade. The first practice is Aug. 27. The first game is Sept. 15. An awards ceremony will wrap up the season Nov. 4. Cost is $75 through July 26, when it will increase to $85. Shorts are optional and cost $15. Register at https://www.welcometo.faith/upward?ct=t(Weekly_Update_Oct_8_2017_COPY_01)&mc_cid=acc654be29&mc_eid=ebc626dbae.
For details, visit https://www.welcometo.faith or call 410-761-5346.
- Ferndale Roadrunners will offer bus trips to Harrington Casino June 21, July 12 and Aug. 16. Cost is $22.
- A trip to Toby’s Dinner Theater will be held July 25 to see Mama Mia. Cost is $74.
- Visit St. Michael’s Aug. 22 for $95 which includes bus ride, lunch at Crab Claw and a boat ride aboard The Patriot.
- The Kentmoor Crab Feast trip will be Sept. 14. The trip is $62 and includes all-you-can-eat crabs, crab soup, corn on the cob, fried chicken, salads, iced tea, sodas and beer, plus ice cream.
- Visit Jefferson on Oct. 20. $40 includes a ham, oyster and turkey dinner.
- Check out the Festival of Lights in Wheeling, W.V. Dec. 5–7. Cost is $379 per person with double occupancy.
For details, Call Jackie Coco at 410-515-4726.
To share your news in the Glen Burnie area, contact Amy Laque at MDGazetteAmy@gmail.com or 443-924-6440. Follow her on Twitter @GlenBurnieTalk.