Baltimore police make homicide arrests in old case and teen killing

Andy Joyce drove his tow truck just after midnight to a West Baltimore service call, where he met a mother and small child waiting with their disabled vehicle. It was Nov. 1, 2010, and the 23-year-old had only worked a few weeks for Gordon Kelly's Quick Response towing company. It was the end of his shift.

The mother and child got a ride from someone as Joyce lowered his truck's bed to tow the Dodge Durango near Mosher Street and Druid Hill Avenue. About two hours later, a passerby noticed the truck's door open, engine running, and Joyce slumped inside.

Police say Joyce, the father of a 7-month-old boy, had been fatally shot in the chest by an unknown suspect who escaped arrest for nearly four years. On Wednesday, Baltimore police said, they found him. A Homicide Operations Unit tactical team arrested Prince Rogers, 35, Tuesday after witnesses identified him, according to an arrest warrant.

Joyce, an Eagle Scout who lived in Ellicott City, had been overcoming drug addiction before he died, his family told The Baltimore Sun in 2010. They said he had been self-medicating after the deaths of his elder twin brothers who suffered from Batten disease, a rare genetic disorder.

His death was mourned by many drivers who organized a memorial drive of tow trucks from more than a dozen companies down the 500 block of Mosher St., where Joyce had been killed, a few weeks after his killing.

"Collectively, as a society, we have to do something to stop all this violence," Andy Joyce's father, Mike Joyce, told The Sun at the time. "And the other thing is, Andy was just performing a service. He was a service guy, like so many others out here — like the BGE workers, like the mailmen, the trash collectors — like so many people out here."

The charging document does not indicate what led detectives to Rogers other than witnesses, whom police did not identify. Rogers is charged with first-degree murder and four other criminal counts. He does not have a lawyer, according to state court records.

In another murder case, police late last month arrested 32-year-old Marshall Spence, who is charged with shooting to death 17-year-old Harrison Eugene Colvin Jr., on Sept. 11.

Colvin had been in the 2900 block of Arunah Ave. when police found him about 2 a.m. lying on his back on the sidewalk with a gunshot wound to his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Detectives interviewed witnesses who identified Spence, who went by "Unck," as the shooter. An arrest warrant was issued for his arrest Sept. 12, and police found him at an apartment in the 2500 block of Hollins St. on Sept. 24. He faces first-degree murder and four other charges. His public defender could not be reached Wednesday.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad