Baltimore officer charged with assaulting his wife and her boyfriend

A city police officer was charged with felony assault after he stormed into a home in full uniform Monday and threatened to kill his wife with his service weapon, Baltimore police said.

After the alleged attack, Officer Gualberto Diaz, 38, reported to work and asked to be excused from the rest of his shift. After police investigated the attack, Diaz was arrested Monday and taken to Central Booking. A judge ordered him held without bail Tuesday, according to court records.

In a statement, the Police Department's top disciplinarian condemned Diaz.

"The Baltimore Police Department has no tolerance for officers who break the law, for officers who inflict harm on their community and family," said Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez.

"Officers who abuse their power compromise the trust and relationships that we have built with the public. There is no excuse for this type of behavior and senseless act violence."

Diaz's wife was in bed at her boyfriend's house at the time of the attack, police said. The names of Diaz's wife, her boyfriend and another man who lives in the home are redacted in court documents provided by the Police Department.

No attorney is listed for Diaz. He faces charges for first- and second-degree assault, using a firearm in a violent crime, first-degree burglary and destruction of property.

Diaz drove to the boyfriend's home in the 2900 block of Brighton St. in the Rosemont section of West Baltimore

Once there, Diaz, a six-year veteran, tore the front door off its hinges, pulled his wife out of bed and started kicking her, according to the documents.

"Gualberto … pointed his service weapon at her during the incident and told her that he wanted to kill her, but wouldn't do it at the time," wrote Internal Affairs detective Derek Collins.

The wife's boyfriend told police that he was asleep when Diaz broke in, according to the charges, and once the officer drew the gun, the boyfriend leaped through a second-floor window and fled to a neighbor's house to get help.

Another man who lives in the house was also asleep and Diaz came into his room brandishing his gun and demanding to know where the boyfriend had gone.

Diaz's wife and her boyfriend were treated at a local hospital, police said.

Investigators arrested Diaz without incident, police said. He has been suspended without pay.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad