Batts joins hunt for 'Public Enemy No. 1'

As area police continue the manhunt for the twice-charged murder suspect they have dubbed "public enemy No. 1," Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts personally hit the streets over the weekend.

Batts said that he and his executive protection officers went out looking for 25-year-old Darryl Anderson, "checking four to five places my guys researched" and some vacant homes where they thought he could be hiding. They searched without fanfare, but Batts confirmed the outing on Tuesday.


"Looking to show my guys how to get it done," Batts said in an email. "This guy needs to be locked up. No luck at the places we went."

Anderson, described in court papers at one time as a "high-ranking member" of the Black Guerrilla Family gang, has evaded capture for a year. Police believe he is armed and dangerous, and have asked anyone with information about his whereabouts to call 911.


Police say a woman involved in a dispute with another woman summoned Anderson on June 27 and told him to "do what y'all do." Police say Anderson then opened fire on a Northeast Baltimore porch, killing 20-year-old Gennie Shird and injuring two other women.

Anderson was being sought long before that in connection with a murder in Baltimore County. Authorities there say Anderson shot and killed Derrick Gamble, 31, last July outside Tee Bee's Bar in Parkville.

Police advised officers to be on the lookout for Anderson in connection with a home invasion Monday. Baltimore County authorities said a woman was the victim of a home invasion at 5 a.m. Monday in the 7500 block of Twincrest Court.

Batts said he decided to search for Anderson after Col. Darryl DeSousa, the chief of patrol, told him that "he and his people" would have Anderson in custody before the weekend. Batts said he had been out in the neighborhood where Shird was killed and had spoken to relatives and neighbors of the victims.

Police have been circulating pictures of Anderson, who has a distinct look with dreadlocks, forehead tattoos and turned-up nose. Elise Armacost, a Baltimore County police spokeswoman, said investigators have described Anderson as "the nastiest of the nasty."

Anderson has a long criminal record, with four handgun-related arrests by age 24. He pleaded guilty in February 2011 to first-degree assault in connection with a stabbing at Club K on West 21st Street.

Court records show Anderson approached a couple who were dancing, took his shirt off and punched Gerald Thomas in the head.

The club's bouncers eventually broke up the fight and Anderson ran away. Thomas soon realized that he had been stabbed in the back six times, leaving him with a collapsed lung.


Anderson was sentenced to 13 years with all but the time he served in jail ahead of trial suspended and was put on three years' supervised probation. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

Mark Cheshire, a spokesman for the Baltimore City state's attorney's office, said prosecutors were not satisfied with the sentence.

"The decision to forge this agreement was made in light of recanting and uncooperative witnesses," he said.

Anderson pleaded guilty to a robbery in 2008 and received 12 years with all but three years suspended. Probation violations have been filed in connection with both the robbery and the stabbing cases.

City Councilman Brandon Scott said the public should help police find Anderson. As hundreds of protesters rallied outside City Hall over the George Zimmerman acquittal in Florida, Scott wrote on Twitter that people know where Anderson is and aren't coming forward.

"Too many of our families are victimized twice by the violent act and the silence of the community in bringing justice," he said. "We have to show the same vigilance in bringing those who murder men, women and kids in our city to justice, no matter the suspect's skin color."