Four plead guilty in woman's abduction, torture, and attempted murder

Four people pleaded guilty Monday for their role in the abduction and torture of a 19-year-old woman left for dead in a vacant home in East Baltimore in 2010, prosecutors said. 

The woman was snatched from a motel in March 2010, and taken to the abandoned home where she was duct-taped, shot in the face, stabbed, and tossed into a dark basement flooded with a foot of water. It all stemmed from a drug dispute, police said.

"They were taking turns torturing me," she told police at the time. 

After multiple postponements, the trial was set to begin Monday. But all four defendants pleaded guilty to charges of attempted first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder, kidnapping, and handgun charges, prosecutors said.

Twenty-seven-year-old Torrence White's plea agreement will send him to prison for life with all but 40 years suspended; Morris James, 24, received 40 years in prison, and Keonay Hill, 23, received life with all but 30 years suspended, according to Shonte Drake, a spokeswoman with the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office.

A fourth defendant, Adesha Richardson, 29, has not been sentenced yet, prosecutors said.

Here's the account of the incident that we reported in March 2010:

The victim, Deyonna Charles, was at the Executive Inn in the 3600 block of Pulaski Highway when she left her room to get a soda, according to charging documents. A man with a handgun ordered her into a waiting vehicle.

Her captors drove her to the 1500 block of N. Patterson Park Ave. and duct-taped her head, hands and feet. She was assaulted with an unknown weapon and stabbed in the torso, hip and thigh. They placed tape across her eyes and shot her in the left side of her neck and right cheek.

On Thursday, the door to the home was ajar. Fliers littered the vestibule, and in the main room, a carpet was stained with blood. A Power Rangers action figure, soda cans, a bowling ball and children's book bags were among the items scattered about. In the kitchen, dried blood dotted the tile floor near a refrigerator hanging open. A cat scurried by.

Court documents say Charles was ordered to make phone calls to round up ransom money, but law enforcement sources say her abductors didn't get what they wanted. Charles was taken to the flooded basement and left there.

Though still partly bound, she was able to flee the dwelling, and a passer-by drove her to Hopkins, police say.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad