xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Eight teens charged with riot, thwarted escape at Frederick County juvenile detention center

Eight teens at a state juvenile detention center in Frederick County have been charged in an alleged riot and escape attempt Sunday, and the three staff members who were hospitalized for injuries in the incident have been treated and released, officials said.

New admissions to the Victor Cullen Center in Sabillasville have been halted after the 11:30 a.m. melee in one of the center's three living units, which ended in a barricade that required a trained negotiator to coax the teens out, Maryland State Police said.

Advertisement

Three of the teenagers — Diego Glay, 19, Daniel Ennos, 17, and Bernard Moore, 17 — were charged as adults in the disturbance, state police said. The other five were charged as juveniles and were not named.

Asked why a 19-year-old was being housed in a facility for juveniles, a spokesman said the Department of Juvenile Services is looking into it. All of the involved youths are expected to be transferred to other facilities.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The riot began as a fight between two of the youths in a living area, and it escalated into a fracas when staff tried to intervene and the teenagers fought with them and took their keys and radios, state police said.

The teens were able to leave the living area and reach the grounds of the facility, near the Pennsylvania line north of Thurmont, but none were able to escape.

In the process, they kicked out a window, kicked in an office trailer door and broke a trailer window, state police said. In addition to taking the keys and radios, the teens took candy from a trailer they broke into, state police said. None of the teens were injured in the riot, according to the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.

Three staff members at a juvenile detention center in Frederick County were hospitalized Sunday after being assaulted by a group of youths who also destroyed property — and then barricaded themselves from the responding troopers and sheriff’s deputies, State Police said.

Glay was charged with first-degree escape, second-degree assault, riot, malicious destruction of property under $1,000 and theft under $100. Ennos and Moore are each charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, first-degree escape, riot, malicious destruction of property under $1,000, and theft under $100.

A public defender who previously represented Glay did not respond to a request for comment Monday. Ennos and Moore did not have attorneys listed in the state's online court records.

The other five youths were charged as juveniles with riot, second-degree assault, first-degree escape, property destruction and theft. All eight remain in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Services.

Jay Cleary, chief of staff at Juvenile Services, thanked staff members who responded on Sunday, as well as Maryland State Police and the Frederick County Sheriff's Office. Counselors and DJS executive staff are at the facility to provide support.

"Several staff courageously risked injury to help protect other youth and staff from harm," Cleary said in a statement Monday.

The investigation is continuing and further charges may be filed, State Police said.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement