Police chase in Northeast Baltimore ends in Baltimore Co.

Baltimore Co. Police investigate the crime scene after a chase that began in Baltimore City.
Baltimore Co. Police investigate the crime scene after a chase that began in Baltimore City. (Algerina Perna, Baltimore Sun)

Three police officers suffered minor injuries in a police chase that started in Northeast Baltimore and ended with a collision in the Carney area of Baltimore County.

A police spokesman said the pursuit began after two officers moved to interrupt a "possible drug transaction" in the 5200 block of Belair Road. Two officers suffered "scratches and abrasions" in a collision with the suspect vehicle, and were taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center as a precaution.


The gray Chevrolet Cobalt fled, leading officers through Northeast and Northern Baltimore, with the passenger-side door of the vehicle bent backward at one point. City officers broke off the pursuit when the vehicle crossed into Baltimore County, and county officers pursued it to the area of East Joppa Road near Teaberry Lane.

The pursuit ended in a second collision, this time with a county officer's cruiser. Police arrested Alycia Marie Hoffman, 25, of the 800 block of Albion Place in Bel Air. She had been arrested Saturday on drug charges and has a lengthy arrest record, including several traffic offenses, Maryland court records show.

She was convicted of second-degree assault in 2010 and given an 18-month suspended sentence.

In November, she was convicted of theft under $1,000, given an 18-month suspended sentence and ordered not to return to the Annapolis mall. Hoffman also had theft convictions in Baltimore County and Harford County last year, according to court records.

Sherrie Howell, a Baltimore lawyer who represented Hoffman in her trial last year in Anne Arundel County, declined to comment.

Cliff Davis, co-owner of Perry Hall Lawn & Flower on East Joppa Road, said he observed the Wednesday arrest from his business.

"I was in the parking lot, and I just heard sirens and a helicopter," Davis said. He then saw about 10 officers surround Hoffman, who was facedown on the ground.

Police blocked off East Joppa Road north of Magledt Road for several blocks while they investigated the crash.

The Cobalt driven by Hoffman displayed Fraternal Order of Police tags.

Officials said they could not say whether Hoffman had ties to the police union but noted that drivers do not have to be officers to obtain such tags. According to a Motor Vehicle Administration spokesman, the organization must give approval, however. The Maryland Fraternal Order of Police could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Minutes after Wednesday's police chase ended, another person was involved in an altercation with police during a traffic stop.

Emergency dispatchers summoned backup for a Baltimore police officer involved in a fight with a suspect after police made a traffic stop on the 900 block of Washington Blvd. in the Washington Village/Pigtown neighborhood. Detective Vernon Davis said the suspect, who wasn't identified immediately, was in custody not long after the struggle was reported. Police said no officer was injured in that altercation.