In earlier traffic stop, police say, Randallstown woman killed by officers said they'd have to 'murder' her

The following video excerpts depict a confrontation between Baltimore County Police and Korryn Gaines during a traffic stop on March 10, 2016.

A Randallstown woman shot to death by police in a standoff Monday had been pulled over in March for driving with a cardboard "Free Traveler" sign in place of a license plate on her car, and told an officer at the scene that police would have to "murder" her to get her out of the vehicle, police said.

Baltimore County police on Tuesday released charging documents for the initial incident that led police to try to serve a warrant to Korryn Gaines, 23, at her home on Monday.


On Monday, Gaines aimed a long gun at officers and threatened to kill them, police said. They exchanged gunfire with her before killing her, police said. A 5-year-old child inside the home with her was injured in the crossfire, but it's unclear whether he was shot by police or Gaines.

He was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.


Kareem Kiean Courtney, 39, who had been wanted for second-degree assault, was arrested by police after fleeing from the apartment. He has since been released on his own recognizance, police said.

According to the traffic incident report from the March 10 stop, a cardboard sign on the back of Gaines' car read, "Any Government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel will be held criminally responsible and fined, as this is a natural right or freedom."

Gaines' two children were in the back of her vehicle during the stop about 4 p.m. at Pikeswood Drive and Liberty Road, police said.

When an officer asked for Gaines' license and registration, she responded that police did not have the authority to pull her over or ask her questions and claimed they were breaking the law by doing so.

After being told she would be arrested if she did not produce a driver's license, Gaines gave one to police. The vehicle was listed as hers, but police found no record of license plates, and the car had not undergone a required emissions check.

She was issued citations and a form requiring her to appear in court, both of which she threw out the window, police said.

The officers told Gaines that the car was being towed and she needed to get out or be arrested. She responded that she would not let the officers "steal her car," police said.

As they waited for the tow truck, Gaines took the two children onto her lap. When officers arrested her, they had to remove the infant from her arms and physically pull her out of the car, police said.

"Gaines was screaming during the arrest and not allowing police personnel to place handcuffs on her," police wrote.

A crowd had gathered due to the commotion, and she yelled to them that she couldn't breathe and told them to "record this," police said.

Gaines' finger was cut and began to bleed during the scuffle, and police called a medic to treat her.

While waiting for the medic, she screamed to her son "to fight and bite" the officer who was watching him, police said.


Gaines was taken to Northwest Hospital, and upon her release, she was processed at the Baltimore County Police precinct in Woodlawn. Her car was towed, and the two children were released to their grandmother, police said.

Efforts to reach Courtney and family members of Gaines were unsuccessful as of Tuesday afternoon.

Police have planned a Tuesday afternoon news conference to update details in the Monday barricade and shooting.


Recommended on Baltimore Sun