Radee L. Prince, who allegedly killed three co-workers and wounded two others at his Harford County workplace before driving to Delaware and shooting a sixth victim Wednesday, has a long criminal history in both states and a record of workplace violence, according to court records and law enforcement officials.
By sundown Wednesday, Prince, who has addresses in Elkton in Cecil County and Wilmington, Del., was the most wanted man in the region. Local, state and federal law enforcement agencies conducted a multistate manhunt before taking him into custody Wednesday evening.
Even before police say he opened fire Wednesday morning at a granite countertop maker in Edgewood, Prince, 37, was known to law enforcement officials. And he had been fired from another job earlier this year after allegedly striking one co-worker and threatening others, according to court records.
In February, Prince allegedly punched a co-worker in the face at a Pulaski Highway granite and marble shop where he worked, then returned multiple times to threaten others after being fired for the attack, according to one co-worker who sought a peace order— Maryland's equivalent of a restraining order — against Prince.
"He came back to our business justifying what he did was right because the other guy was saying some things that he did not like," the employee wrote in the application, adding that Prince came back to the business three times after he was fired.
A fourth time, Prince allegedly "came to see me, cursed and yelled at me. … I felt very threatened because he is a big guy and very aggressive on me," the employee wrote.
He said Prince did not touch him physically, but "I do not want to wait until he will, plus, he already punched a co-worker," the co-worker wrote in the documents. "He can also do it to me."
A Harford County district judge denied the order, saying the co-worker "could not meet the required burden of proof."
Three people have died and two are injured in a shooting at an Edgewood area business park, the Harford County sheriff said Wednesday.
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Wilmington Police Chief Robert Tracy said Prince had a total of 42 arrests on his record in Delaware, including 15 felony convictions. His department would not provide details on those arrests.
According to court records, Prince pleaded guilty in Delaware in December 2003 to 15 counts of third-degree burglary and was sentenced to 25 years with all but two years suspended, court records show. He was ordered to pay $34,500 in restitution, the records show.
Prince also had run-ins with law enforcement in Maryland. In March 2015, he was pulled over in Cecil County for driving with his front headlight out, and "began getting extremely loud and aggressive," according to court records.
Prince would not stop screaming, according to the statement of the sheriff's deputy at the car stop, and his vehicle was searched. A black pistol was allegedly found beneath the center console, and he was charged with multiple handgun violations.
However, those charges were dropped by Cecil County prosecutors about three months later.
Interim Cecil County state's attorney Steven Trostle declined to comment Wednesday on why the 2015 gun charges against Prince were dropped. He said he had "been made aware" of the 2015 case, but his office's "primary focus" Wednesday was to "assist law enforcement and the Harford County state's attorney's office in any way that we can" in the current investigation.
Members of Prince's family could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.