Baltimore police on Tuesday charged a 34-year-old man with two counts of murder in the death of his infant son.

Cornelius McBride, of the 2300 block of Calverton Heights, has been charged with first- and second-degree murder and child abuse in the death of 6-month-old Kahlil Cannady from injuries suffered on March 25, 2016.


Police said Cannady was taken to the hospital with "obvious signs of trauma" to his head. At the time of the incident, Western District officers went to the hospital for a report of possible child abuse.

Cornelius McBride
Cornelius McBride (Baltimore Police Department)

Cannady was pronounced dead in September, according to court records. In October, the state medical examiner's office ruled Cannady's death a homicide caused by blunt force trauma to his head that was "the result of high-level intentional trauma and not a simple fall" in the March incident, police said.

Homicide detectives obtained a warrant for McBride's arrest afterward. He did not have an attorney listed in online court records, and could not be reached for comment.

According to charging documents in the case, police were called to the hospital's pediatric emergency room for a report of possible child abuse, and were told by physicians that the boy was suffering from "hemorrhaging, traumatic brain injury, traumatic blindness, traumatic hearing loss, seizure disorder secondary to the brain injury, and rib fractures."

Police wrote that Cannady's mother told them that she had dropped her son off to stay the night at McBride's house, but that McBride had called her soon after she'd left and told her to return because the boy was having seizures.

Police wrote that a relative of McBride's initially told them that she had been bathing the boy when he fell back from a seated position and hit his head on the bathtub, but doctors said the boy's injuries were inconsistent with such a fall. They wrote that the daughter, when confronted with inconsistencies in her story, acknowledged it was not true and that her father had "instructed her to lie and state that she was responsible for the victim's injury even though she was not in the house when the incident occurred."

Police also wrote that the person who had initially called 911 told them that when McBride called for her to come upstairs, he was alone with his son and the boy was having a seizure.