Two Frederick police officers released from Shock Trauma after shootout; 25-year-old charged with attempted murder

Two Frederick police officers were released from Shock Trauma Friday night after they were injured in a shooting after responding to a report of a “suspicious man,” who also was shot, Frederick officials said.

The officers, identified as Bryan Snyder and Kristen Kowalsky, were released around 6:30 p.m. from the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center after suffering gunshot wounds to their torsos, according to trauma surgeon Dr. Thomas Scalea. Dominique Lamarr Lewis, 25, who police referred to as a suspect, also was shot in the torso and underwent surgery at the Baltimore hospital.


Lewis is in stable condition Saturday and is expected to be released later in the day, said Allen Etzler, spokesman for the City of Frederick. Frederick County sheriff deputies are guarding Lewis, who is charged with two counts of attempted first and second-degree murder, first-degree assault and a handgun offense.

Maryland State Police are investigating the shooting and offered more details on the moments that led to three people getting shot in the torso.


Officers Synder and Kowalsky arrived around 12:45 p.m. to the area of Waverly Drive and Key Parkway for a report of a suspicious man with a firearm. The officers saw Lewis sitting on an electrical box with a gun and asked him to show his hands, Maryland State Police said in a statement. Lewis did not respond and ignored the officers’ request, state police said.

Lewis then walked away from the officers before he abruptly turned around and fired multiple rounds at the two officers using a .45 caliber handgun, state police said. Snyder and Kowalsky then fired their Glock pistols, according to police. State police are continuing to investigate and have not determined a motive for the shooting as of Saturday.

Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said Friday emergency medical services were called minutes after officers arrived at the intersection.

Lando said the Independent Investigation Division in the Maryland Attorney General’s Office, which investigates police shootings, is working jointly with Maryland State Police to investigate what led to the shooting.

During a press conference outside Shock Trauma, Lando referred questions about the shooting to those authorities. He said Frederick police are outfitted with body cameras, but wouldn’t confirm if Snyder and Kowalsky were wearing them at the time of the shooting.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

“It’s a tough time right now to be a police officer and I’m very proud of the work that they do,” Lando said.

He’s thankful, he said, that Snyder and Kowalsky appear to be okay.

Snyder, 43, is in his second year of service with Frederick police, and Kowalsky, 32, is a nine-year veteran with the department. They were flown, along with Lewis, to Shock Trauma by two Maryland State Police helicopters, according to police.


Speaking outside the hospital Friday evening, Frederick Mayor Michael O’Connor said the city experienced the “true danger these officers face every day across our country. My thoughts right now are with my police officers, with their families and with our department.”

Scalea, the trauma surgeon, expressed exasperation with the level of gun violence in the region, saying the hospital had admitted five shooting victims by the afternoon Wednesday.

“That’s nuts — that there is so much violence in the city, in the state — this is out of control,” he said. ”It’s so demoralizing to do this day after day.”

For the record

A previous version of this article misspelled the name of Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando. The Baltimore Sun regrets the error.