Baltimore County police fatally shoot man who allegedly threatened to harm himself and others on I-83

Baltimore County Police say a man who was reported to be threatening to hurt himself and other people was fatally shot by a police officer Tuesday night during a traffic stop on Interstate 83 in Sparks Glencoe.

County police spokeswoman Ofc. Jennifer Peach gave few details on the circumstances surrounding how or why the altercation with the officer became fatal. She said she could not answer questions about what happened during the struggle with the police officer, whether the man had a gun, or whether any shots other than the one by the officer were fired.


Officers were originally called to a residence on the unit block of Pheasant Wood Court in Parkton around 9 p.m. for a call about a man threatening to harm himself and others, Peach said.

On the way to the scene, police learned the man had left the house in a vehicle and officers began to canvass the area, she said.

Upon locating the vehicle traveling southbound on I-83 north of Belfast Road, an officer pulled the car over, Peach said.

“Some sort of incident occurred between the officer and that person while he was on that traffic stop,” she said. “Right now, we have very limited information on exactly what transpired during the exchange between the officer and the person.”

Peach said the officer and medics attempted to resuscitate the man, but that he died of his wounds. Preliminary information indicates the man was alone in the car, she added.

The officer involved was required to wear a body-worn police camera, but Peach said she did not know whether the camera was turned on during the time of the incident.

“We are looking into how many shots were fired by the officer, how many times the person was struck, what exactly transpired between the person and our officer during this traffic stop that caused the officer to fire his weapon,” she said.

All southbound lanes of I-83 were closed between Belfast and Mount Carmel roads for a time after the shooting.

While Peach had said the department expected to release more information Wednesday morning, that did not happen.

Tuesday’s police-involved shooting is at least the third in the county in the past four months. An officer fatally shot a man at a Duke’s Motel in Rosedale while serving an arrest warrant in July. In that case, police say the man was killed during an exchange of gunfire at the motel in the 7900 block of Pulaski Highway.

In September, Baltimore County police fatally shot a man who stabbed at least four people at the Hunt Valley Towne Center.

According to the police department’s body worn camera policy listed on its website, police are not required to release camera footage if an investigation is ongoing — unless Chief Melissa Hyatt decides otherwise. In 2017 the department declined to release footage from three police shootings. Earlier this year, camera footage was released in the death of Officer Amy Caprio, but only after a jury viewed it during the trial of one of the three teens who were later convicted of killing her.