Police identify man shot by officers Sunday

Baltimore County police identified a man who was shot by officers in Windsor Mill on Sunday after he allegedly assaulted a woman and attempted to run officers down with his car.

Police charged 29-year-old Elisha Rayfield Pridgeon with attempted first-degree murder and related charges in the confrontation early Sunday.


Officers who were called to the 3700 block of Old Milford Mill Road on a report of a man assaulting a woman used Tasers and batons to subdue Pridgeon, but said they didn't work.

Pridgeon's family said he had struggled with mental illness and was diagnosed recently with bipolar disorder.


"He was scared of the police," said Anna Pridgeon, his younger sister. "When the police got there, they just jumped on him. He's just one person. They didn't need to use that much force. He jumped back in the cab trying to get away from them."

Police said Pridgeon was following a woman along Old Milford Mill Road, taking his shirt off and yelling, "I am the man and I can do whatever I want."

When the woman crossed the street, police said in documents filed in District Court, Pridgeon followed and tackled her.

"You're dead!" the woman said she told him. "Look into my eyes!"

The woman ran to a nearby home, where a resident let her inside. Pridgeon yelled at her from the end of the driveway, police said.

The resident repeatedly told Pridgeon to leave, but he attempted to break in, damaging the door, police said.

Police Cpl. Cathy Batton said there was no connection between Pridgeon and the woman.

The two responding officers told Pridgeon to step down from the porch, police said, and used a Taser when he did not comply.


Police said Pridgeon fell down, then ripped the Taser prongs from his body and charged at the officers. They continued to use the Taser on him.

The officers then called for backup, used pepper spray on Pridgeon and hit him with their batons. Still, police said, Pridgeon ran toward his car.

The car then "rapidly accelerated" toward the officers, police said. Two of them opened fire and hit him in his chest and legs.

Pridgeon was able to drive away, police said.

The police involved in the shooting were identified only as Officers Cowley and Small with the Pikesville Precinct. A police union agreement prevents Baltimore County from providing officers' first names.

Two other officers followed Pridgeon as he drove off, police said.


Police said they found the car in a yard and Pridgeon walking in the street. They said he continued to struggle with officers until they were able to place him under arrest.

He was treated at Maryland Shock Trauma but later released.

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

Anna Pridgeon said her brother had been struggling to get medications and treatment. She said he was living with her and her two children and had begun work recently at a cab company.

"I know my brother. He never threatened anyone," she said. "All he does is write music. He loves to play guitar."

Online court records show Pridgeon did not have a criminal record in Maryland.

Anna Pridgeon said the family has apologized to the woman on his behalf.


"I just hope they take it into consideration that he hasn't been taking his medication," she said."We wouldn't be going through this if he had been getting proper treatment."