19-year-old Towson man charged with killing his father.

Baltimore County police have charged a 19-year-old man with fatally shooting his father in the family's Towson home Sunday night.

Devin Vallade II of the 8100 block of Kirkwall Court was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree murder in the death of Devin Vallade Sr., according to police and court records.


The shooting was the eighth homicide in the county this year, according to Officer Jennifer Peach, a county police spokeswoman.

The younger Vallade was a 2015 graduate of Calvert Hall College High School, according to a school spokeswoman.

"It's a tragic situation for the family, and our heartfelt prayers are with them," said Danielle Werner, the Calvert Hall spokeswoman.

The shooting occurred just before 10 p.m. at the home on a dead-end residential street behind a commercial area near the school. The suspected gunman's mother and brother were also in the home when the victim was shot in the upper body on the home's second floor, police spokesman Shawn Vinson said.

The younger Vallade and his brother both called 911 to report the shooting, according to an incident report.

Police wrote in the incident report that the younger Vallade surrendered with his hands above his head when police arrived to the house and said, "He attacked me and I shot him."

The teen had been involved in a car accident earlier that evening, according to the police report. His mother picked him up and brought him home, and they got into an argument in his parents' bedroom. His father arrived and began arguing and physically fighting with his son, according to the report.

The younger Vallade then retrieved his father's gun from the basement and returned upstairs and threatened his father with it while his mother pleaded for him to put it down, the report said. The teen told police his father took a step toward him, and then he shot him, according to the report.

Vallade told police that he retrieved the gun instead of leaving the house because it was cold outside and he had "nowhere to go," the report said.

The father was pronounced dead on the scene.

Police were called to the home in 2013 for an argument between the father and son, Peach said.

A phone number listed for the home was disconnected, and no attorney was listed for Vallade in online court records. He was being held without bail, according to court records. A woman at the home declined to comment through the closed front door.

Stephen Demasi, 18, a senior at Loch Raven High School who lives on nearby Feldbrook Road, said he and Vallade were part of a group of friends who grew up together in the neighborhood.

Demasi called him "one of the most cool, laid-back kids I've ever known" and said he couldn't imagine him pulling a gun on anyone.


"He never seemed like the kind of kid to do something like that," Demasi said.

Another neighbor, Sally Hewson, 49, said her son played recreational soccer and baseball with the younger Vallade.

"I love that kid," she said. "He's a great kid. He's polite. He looks you in the eye. He truly, truly is a great kid."

Hewson said she sent a text message Monday morning to Vallade's mother to offer support, she said, "letting her know we're all here for her and her kids."

"I can't say enough about how great they are," Hewson said.

She called the incident "absolutely unfathomable," and said neighbors have all been desperate for any explanation of what happened.

"It's truly, truly horrible," she said.