Baltimore County Police arrested Royal Jamar Robert Quinn in connection with a child sexual assault case in Dundalk. (Courtesy of Baltimore County Police)
Baltimore County Police arrested Royal Jamar Robert Quinn in connection with a child sexual assault case in Dundalk. (Courtesy of Baltimore County Police)

Baltimore County Police have arrested a Baltimore man in a child sexual assault case that occurred on the property of a Dundalk elementary school.

Royal Jamar Robert Quinn, 24, of the 3000 block of Wayne Avenue, has been charged with attempted kidnapping, second degree rape, third degree sex offense, robbery, false imprisonment, assault, and theft, the police department announced Monday.


Police said detectives from the Baltimore County Police Crimes Against Children Unit identified Quinn after investigating the assault. He is currently being held at the Baltimore County Department of Corrections on denied bail status, police said.

The department reported Dec. 2 that a child was assaulted that morning while on a footpath near the baseball fields at Norwood Elementary School in Dundalk.

According to court records, Quinn grabbed an 11-year-old girl from behind as she walked toward the school from Birch Ave. He picked her up and dragged her to a grassy area where he “threw her on the ground," read the charging documents.

In an interview with a social worker, according to those documents, the girl said Quinn pulled her pants down and abused her before he attempted to pull his own pants down. She fought Quinn as he “told her to shut up and punched her in the face multiple times,” the court records show, and the girl bit Quinn’s hand while he covered her mouth to stop her screaming.

Quinn later pulled up his pants and fled the area, according to charging documents. The girl ran toward the school, where she asked for help from students nearby. The girl not only suffered “numerous cuts, scratches and bruises to her face, body and legs,” but Quinn also stole her black iPhone 7, court records show.

Detectives used footage from the school’s cameras and private security video from nearby homes to spot Quinn following the girl in a black Nissan Maxima, court records show. Officers saw him exiting the car and running after the girl.

“When viewed in its totality, it is evident that the suspect intended to try to abduct [the girl], but was unable to do so, likely due to the victim attempting to get away, screaming and struggling against the suspect. The intentional, persistent following of [the girl] by the suspect, throughout the neighborhood, demonstrates his intent to attack and cause harm to [her],” according to the charging documents.

The girl was treated for her injuries at a local hospital, court records show. Police said she is not a student Norwood Elementary.

Officers apprehended Quinn on Dec. 6 when he was seen leaving his Baltimore residence and getting into the Nissan, court records show. Officers stopped his vehicle and transported him to the county for questioning. He was arrested after he declined to be interviewed.

Online court records show Quinn was charged with first degree murder in 2013 after prosecutors said he and three other people had fatally beaten and stabbed a man in downtown Baltimore. Quinn later pleaded guilty to second degree murder and a weapons charge. He was sentenced to four years in prison, online court records show.

Baltimore Sun Media Group reporter Cody Boteler contributed to this article.