A Parkville man who police say was driving a stolen dump truck that crashed head-on into another vehicle Monday afternoon while fleeing from officers has been charged in the fatal incident, Maryland State Police said.

The victim was identified as Leon Jones, 58, of Hunt Valley, who was driving a Nissan Versa on Cranbrook Road when the truck driven by Zackery Haeger, 26, hit the Nissan, police said.


Haeger has been charged with more than two dozen counts, including manslaughter, driving under the influence of alcohol and attempting to elude officers. He is being held without bail in the Baltimore County Detention Center, according to state police.

No attorney was listed for Haeger in court records.

Authorities allege Haeger was attempting to flee troopers when he crashed into Jones at about 2:30 p.m. Monday. Haeger was driving without a license, police said.

Police received reports at about 2 p.m. Monday that a Ford F550 dump truck had been stolen in Baltimore from a Hampstead-based roofing company. Troopers found the vehicle in the parking lot of a Walmart in Cockeysville and encountered the suspect, who allegedly lurched at the officers with the stolen truck, police said.

Haeger then sped south on York Road, police reported. He ran a red light before he rammed into another vehicle at the intersection of Padonia and York roads, police said.

Haeger turned east on Padonia Road. The police investigation indicates he crossed over the road’s double yellow center line and swerved into the southbound lanes of Cranbrook Road.

Jones, who was driving a Nissan, drove into the northbound lane to avoid Haeger, police said. But Haeger veered back into the northbound lane and crashed into the Nissan head-on.

Jones was removed from his vehicle by rescue crews and flown to Shock Trauma, said Elise Armacost, a Baltimore County Fire Department spokeswoman, on Monday. State police reported that Jones died as a result of his injuries later that afternoon.

Haeger fled on foot from the truck, police said. Officers arrested the man shortly after. He requested medical attention and was taken to Sinai Hospital.