Police report: Ravens kicker Kaare Vedvik does not remember his Saturday assault in Baltimore

Ravens rookie kicker Kaare Vedvik was out in Fells Point before he was assaulted early Saturday, but he does not remember the circumstances that led to his assault, according to a police report.

Vedvik, 24, was found with “upper body injuries” around 4 a.m. Saturday in the 2000 block of Boone St. in East Baltimore’s Midway neighborhood and was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center for treatment, according to police.

Darren Sanders, vice president of security for the Ravens, told police that he spoke to Vedvik before the kicker fell asleep Friday night, and Vedvik told him he had been out in Fells Point with a couple of teammates earlier in the evening, according to the report.

“They wanted to leave but he wanted to stay out longer with a couple of ladies that he was with,” the report said.

Vedvik’s teammates left and later called him about 3:09 a.m. Saturday, when Vedvik told them “he was good,” according to the report. Vedvik told Sanders he did not remember what happened after that and did not know how he ended up in the 2000 block of Boone St., where he was found.

A few residents on that block said they were asleep during the incident and did not hear anything. They awoke the next morning to find police officers and yellow tape at the end of an alley, across from a vacant lot and a row of mostly vacant houses on Boone Street. The area is a few blocks from the busy intersection of North and Greenmount avenues and busy bus stops.

Neighbors said the street has been mostly quiet this summer. The closest club or bar or gas station — businesses that are open late — are several blocks away. Most of the nearby smaller corner shops close earlier in the evening, they said, questioning why Vedvik would have ventured to the area at such an hour.

Vedvik’s phone and wallet were also missing, according to the police report.

Vedvik was not able to give a statement to police Saturday, the report said. Baltimore Police Department spokesman T.J. Smith said police have tried to speak to him.

“We can’t compel a statement out of a victim,” Smith said. “We can’t force anyone to make a statement.”

Because police do not have any witnesses to confirm an assault or a suspect description, Smith said he doesn’t want to assume Vedvik was assaulted.

“That’s what the police report says, but that’s basically through logic and reason it appears to be an assault. But we don’t have anyone who is confirming an assault actually occurred,” Smith said. “We’re deducing this from reason and logic that a person bloodied and bruised on the side of a road essentially appeared to be the victim of an assault. The reality is it’s very difficult to piece it together at this stage.”

Ravens spokesman Chad Steele said Tuesday in an email to The Baltimore Sun that while coach John Harbaugh and team vice president of security Darren Sanders visited Vedvik on Sunday, there was no other information available about the investigation.

Vedvik’s 21-year-old sister Louise Vedvik, reached by phone in their hometown of Stavanger, Norway, said she spoke to her brother and that he was recovering.

The kicker and punter was placed on the team’s reserve non-football injury list Saturday. Harbaugh said Monday the incident might have cost Vedvik his chance to kick in the NFL this season.

Baltimore Sun reporters Jessica Anderson and Jonas Shaffer contributed to this article.



Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad