Man charged in shooting death of Dionay Smith

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis annouced the arrest of Terrell Gibson, 21, for the shooting death of Dionay Smith, who is the younger brother of Police spokesman, T.J. Smith. (Kevin Richardson / Baltimore Sun video)

Baltimore police have charged a 21-year-old man in the killing of the brother of the department's lead spokesman.

Terrell Gibson has been charged in the shooting death of Dionay Smith, police said Thursday. He is charged with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and reckless endangerment.


Smith, 24, was found fatally shot about 8 p.m. Sunday in his home in the 1400 block of Argyle Ave. in the Upton neighborhood of West Baltimore. Known as Dion, he was the younger brother of Baltimore police spokesman T.J. Smith.

"My brother had a very kind heart. It appears that someone he knows — that he probably was kind to — took advantage of him," T.J. Smith said.

Officers found Gibson at his home in the 1800 block of W. Lafayette Ave., Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said during a news conference Thursday. Detectives have not recovered the firearm used in the killing.

Police are unsure why Smith was shot, Davis said.

"As far as motive goes ... we're just not solid on what went on inside that row home," Davis said.

It is unclear whether Gibson has an attorney. His case had not yet appeared in online court records Thursday.

Davis said Gibson is "no stranger" to law enforcement, and court records show he has faced multiple charges in the past.

He was arrested in 2015 for a stabbing on a Maryland Transit Administration bus, Davis said. Online court records show Gibson was charged in 2015 with attempted first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and concealing a deadly weapon with the intent to injure.

He pleaded guilty to second-degree assault in 2015 and was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

He was released from a probationary status last December, Davis said.

Surveillance video released Monday was "immensely helpful" in finding Gibson, Davis said.

Police are not looking for another suspect, he added.

"We know we've got the right guy," Davis said, "and thankfully he's off the streets."