Seven people were shot — at least one fatally — in Baltimore between Tuesday afternoon and early Wednesday morning, with the violence stretching from Brooklyn in the south to Gwynn Oak in the northwest and Darley Park in the east.

A man was also stabbed multiple times and robbed of cash, his shoes and his car on Tuesday night near Patterson Park, police said.


One man died in a shooting that occurred at about 3 a.m. in the Darley Park neighborhood, said Detective Angela Carter-Watson, a police spokeswoman. Officers found the man lying on the sidewalk in the 1600 block of Cliftview Ave. He was taken to a hospital where police said he was pronounced dead at 6:45 a.m.

About a half-hour later, another man walked into Johns Hopkins Hospital with a gunshot wound to the upper right chest, Carter-Watson said. A preliminary investigation showed he was shot on the same block as the slaying victim. Homicide detectives are investigating the possibility both shootings are related, she said.

Police believe multiple suspects were involved in the incidents but know of no motive or identities.

The shootings took place just a few rowhouses away from the May 2011 quadruple shooting that killed 12-year-old Sean Johnson, who was on a front porch with three others watching an NBA playoff game on a TV propped up in the window. One of Johnson's aunts said relatives are planning to hold a candlelight vigil in his memory at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

The double-shooting early Wednesday followed a violent Tuesday, in which five people were shot in four incidents — one critically, police said.

Police made an arrest in a incident in which two people were shot Tuesday in the 4100 block of Audrey Avenue in Brooklyn before 2:11 p.m.

Police said Emmanuel Thomas, 22, of Columbia, was charged with two counts each of attempted first- and second-degree murder in the Audrey Avenue shooting. A message left at his last known address was not returned.

Thomas, who was also charged with several counts of assault, reckless endangerment and firearms violations, told police he did not know anything about the shooting, according to charging documents.

One of the victims, admitted to Harbor Hospital, sustained a gunshot wound to the left side of his head, Carter-Watson said. At the same time Baltimore investigators were gathering information on the victim, Anne Arundel County Police advised them that another victim also shot in the left side of his head had walked into Baltimore Washington Medical Center.

Detectives say both victims were on Audrey Avenue to meet an unknown person when one of the victims got in a fight inside a dwelling. As he attempted to leave the house, Thomas fired a bullet that struck him in the head, police said.

Police said the bullet passed through the man's head and hit the second victim, who was standing outside the front door. Witnesses told police that Thomas and two other men ran from that house to another house nearby.

Baltimore police Sgt. Eric Kowalczyk said both shooting victims were alive Wednesday.

Also in the afternoon, a man was shot in the 4700 block of Liberty Heights Avenue in Howard Park. On Wednesday morning Kowalczyk said the man was still alive though police initially said homicide detectives were investigating the case due to the severity of his injuries.

In that incident, police arrived at the 3600 block of Gwynn Oak Ave. in Northwest Baltimore at 3:12 p.m. for a reported shooting. They found the victim behind the block on Liberty Heights Avenue suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was last listed in critical condition, police said.


About 8 p.m., a man was shot in the jaw near the intersection of Edmondson Avenue and North Pulaski Street in West Baltimore, police said. Police said the crime scene stretched along the 1900 and 2000 blocks of Edmondson Ave.

About 8:34 p.m., a gunshot victim flagged down an officer near the intersection of West Baltimore Street and North Warwick Avenue, also in West Baltimore. Police said the woman was shot in the lower back. An investigation showed that she lived in a home in the 400 block of Brunswick St., where an unknown suspect fired multiple rounds at her. She was listed in stable condition at an area hospital.

Detectives are also investigating the stabbing and robbery of a 43-year-old man in Patterson Park.

At about 9:45 p.m., police received a call from a woman who said she had asked a man to meet her while she was walking her dogs in the park. The man parked his car in the 200 block of S. Linwood Ave. and began walking to the park when police said multiple suspects approached him, told him to lie down and hand over his money. Police said he was stabbed as he complied.

The suspects went into his pocket and stole cash and his car keys. They also took the victim's Nike tennis shoes, a T-Mobile MyTouch, glasses, a watch and a digital camera. Police said the suspects used his keys to locate his car and fled northbound on Linwood Ave.

The victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital. Detectives continue to search for suspects.

Baltimore Sun staff writer Carrie Wells contributed to this report.