Two men were killed in separate shootings less than a mile apart in Baltimore late Monday and early Tuesday morning, according to city police.

In the first incident, officers found a man with multiple gunshot wounds in the first block of W. 20th Street in Charles North at about 1:35 a.m. Tuesday, police said.


Officers had responded to the area, behind two Korean restaurants at the foot of a high-rise apartment building, at 11:26 p.m. Monday on reports of gunfire, police said, but they didn't find anyone injured. Detectives believe the man was shot in the earlier gunfire.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. He had not been identified Tuesday evening.

In the second incident, officers responded to the 2100 block of Park Avenue in Reservoir Hill at 5:15 a.m. and found another man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. Police would not confirm his identity, but a man at the scene said he was his son.

Gregory Yarberough said his son Akeem, 36, was waiting for a bus to go to work when he was shot.

"I'm still trying to piece it together," Yarberough said Tuesday morning as neighbors came to offer their condolences. He said his son lived around the corner from the bus stop with his aunt.

"He was a young man out here like most of these young men, trying to do something with his life," Yarberough said. "He's just one of the many that met with tragedy."

Court records show that Akeem Yarberough, who was known as "Whitelock Cuzo," had recently been released from federal prison.

The two incidents occurred on opposite sides of the Jones Falls Expressway. Homicide detectives had not determined Tuesday morning whether there was any connection between them, a police spokeswoman said.

A few hours after Yarberough's shooting, neighbors and family members gathered in the street.

The elder Yarberough said his son had two children, a 17-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy. He said his son was waiting for the bus at the corner of Park Avenue and Newington Avenue to go to work at a thrift store in Essex when he was shot.

Yarberough said his son was funny and positive about life, and loved his family and the Reservoir Hill community.

A woman standing on the corner Tuesday morning whispered that there would be a home tour in the neighborhood later in the day to attract new residents, and that she hoped the publicity over the shooting would be minimal. She poured a bottle of water over the sidewalk and grass where the man was shot, to erase any sign of what happened.

Records show Akeem Yarberough was released April 1 from federal prison, where he was serving time for his role in the "Red Dot" heroin ring run by Johnnie "J.R." Butler and Calvin "Turkey" Wright.


Butler and Wright were convicted, in a separate case, for the murder of Sintia Mesa, a 25-year-old who in January 2007 was abducted, tortured, raped and killed because Butler and his crew wanted access to her drug dealer boyfriend's money.

A city judge sentenced Butler to two consecutive life terms plus 10 years in the killing of Mesa, while Wright received life plus 25 years on a murder conspiracy charge.

Many of the records in Akeem Yarberough's case are sealed, but authorities alleged in an affidavit that he managed a small heroin shop for Butler at the corner of Whitelock and Park avenues, one block from where he was shot Tuesday. He received a sentence of 50 months in federal prison.

"He was trying to do the correct thing with his life," Gregory Yarberough said. "I'm not going to put him on a pedestal, but he was working and trying to take care of his family."

Baltimore Sun reporter Kevin Rector contributed to this article.