MTA officer allegedly raped accident victim after bus crash

Maryland Transit Administration Officer Martez Johnson, 26, has been charged with rape and assault.
Maryland Transit Administration Officer Martez Johnson, 26, has been charged with rape and assault.(Photo provided by Baltimore Police Department)

A MTA police officer has been charged with rape after a woman told investigators that he drove her home from the scene of an accident and then assaulted her.

The woman told Baltimore police that Maryland Transit Administration Officer Martez Johnson, 26, had given her a ride in his marked cruiser after an MTA bus hit her car about 3 a.m. March 13.


According to charging documents, Martez walked the woman to the front door of her home on North Duncan Street. As she closed the door, Johnson forced his way inside, then pushed her onto her couch and raped her, the documents said.

After he left, she called 911, police said.

The woman told investigators she read the name "Johnson" on his badge, the documents said, and later identified the officer in a photo array.

Police confirmed Johnson had responded to the accident scene.

"We are disheartened and disgusted over the alleged violation that this officer broke the public's trust and harmed an individual," MTA police Chief Col. John E. Gavrilis said in a statement.

Johnson, who is suspended without pay, has been with the MTA police force for almost two years.

He does not have an attorney listed in online court records. Records show he was released from jail the day after the incident. No one came to the door of his home on Martingale Avenue in Irvington.

The MTA police employs 150 sworn officers and 80 civilians, who are responsible for public safety on state transit systems in the city and surrounding counties.


Earlier this week, a Baltimore City police officer was charged in Howard County with sexual abuse and solicitation of a minor. Howard County police said the officer texted with a 14-year-old girl advertising prostitution services online, and that they met three times in January and May 2013.