Police identify, charge man accused of leading officers on pursuit amid 'shooting spree'

Police identify, charge man accused of leading officers on pursuit amid 'shooting spree'
Mausean Vittorio Quran Carter, 30, of Northwest Baltimore, has been charged with first-degree murder and a slate of other offenses in relation to multiple incidents of violence in the last week.

Baltimore Police on Saturday identified the man they have accused of engaging in a “shooting spree” before and during a lengthy police chase through the city on Friday that left several people injured.

Mausean Vittorio Quran Carter, 30, is facing charges regarding the chase, and has also been charged with first-degree murder and several other offenses in relation to other incidents over the past week, police said.


Carter, of the 3000 block of Oakford Avenue, was taken into custody after he stopped the Lexus he was driving amid the chase and a woman — who police said was his girlfriend — ran up to the car and pulled him out of the driver’s seat. She was not identified by authorities.

Police allege Carter shot a man on Edmondson Avenue last week and shot three men — including a still-unidentified 37-year-old man who died — Thursday afternoon in the city’s Franklintown Road neighborhood.

Carter was denied bail, and did not have an attorney listed in online records. No one answered the door at his home.

Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby’s office said files from his case were not available Saturday.

Police said the chase began Friday morning after officers pulled over a Lexus sought in connection with the triple shooting on Thursday. Carter was initially compliant, but then sped off, police said.

After the chase, officers found a handgun and assault rifle with an extended magazine in the Lexus, according to police spokesman T.J. Smith.

In addition to first-degree murder, Carter has been charged with second-degree murder, attempted first- and second-degree murder, varying assault and weapons charges and reckless endangerment. Police said additional information on the case would be available Monday.

Carter has two drug possession convictions from 2009 and an assault conviction from 2010, according to online records. He also pleaded guilty to a failure to obey charge in 2011.

Police allege that during the chase Carter opened fire multiple times at officers, missing them each time. He also was firing indiscriminately from his vehicle, police said, shooting and wounding a man in the leg on West North Avenue in Walbrook, shooting at and missing two people in Central Park Heights and shooting a man inside his car at Wabash and Rogers avenues.

The passenger in that car suffered cardiac arrest, police said. The gunfire struck buildings and cars, too, police said.

Police do not identify survivors of shootings in the city.

The chase went on for nearly 30 minutes. One officer suffered an injury to his leg, police said.

Police said that during the chase, Carter's girlfriend had been pleading with him by phone to surrender, and they agreed to meet across from Mondawmin Mall in West Baltimore, police said.

“Girlfriend likely knows he’s coming to intersection, runs to car and pulls him out,” police spokesman T.J. Smith wrote online. “Officers then quickly move in and arrest suspect.”


Carter “jeopardized the entire city today,” Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said on Friday. “Hopefully no one else was struck by his errant, reckless gunfire.”