After Baltimore police shooting, four onlookers were arrested, one Tased

When a driver being pulled over in Southwest Baltimore was shot by a police officer after allegedly reversing his vehicle and pinning the officer in the door of a patrol car, neighborhood residents began pouring out of their homes — "becoming a crowd of onlookers," according to one officer's account.

By the time the scene in the 200 block of S. Augusta Avenue in Irvington was cleared Monday, four of those onlookers had been arrested — one after being Tased, according to police records.


The incident occurred late Monday night, in a city where crime scenes have increasingly drawn large crowds since citizen footage of Freddie Gray's arrest became evidence in the now-pending criminal case against six officers involved in his arrest and transport.

Gray, 25, died after suffering a neck injury in the back of a police van. His death sparked days of protests against police brutality, and his funeral was followed by rioting, looting and arson that put a national spotlight on Baltimore and laid bare simmering tensions between many communities in the city and its police force.

"It's an emotionally charged moment when a community experiences something as significant as a police-involved shooting," Interim Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said at a news conference Tuesday. "The fact that people are out certainly doesn't weigh in, we expect people to be out. But as we're trying to conduct a crime scene investigation, we have to be able to do that safely, we have to be able to get our detectives and our crime scene investigators into a crime scene so that they can actually do their work."

At the time, Davis said he knew of at least two onlookers who had been arrested at the scene, but was not aware of a Taser being used. He said all of the arrests and the circumstances surrounding them would be reviewed as part of the broader investigation into the shooting of the still-unidentified driver, who was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The officer who fired his weapon — identified Thursday as Officer Abdoul Yaguibou — was "shaken up quite a bit" by the incident, Davis said, and placed on routine administrative leave pending the conclusion of the investigation.

Yaguibou joined the Baltimore Police Department in 2012 and is a member of its Neighborhood Patrol Bureau. He had never been involved in a department shooting before Monday. He was identified after the 48-hour window that department policy sets as the time frame within which officers involved in shootings should be identified.

In response to a request by The Baltimore Sun for records on all arrests made at the shooting scene, police confirmed four men had been arrested and provided statements of probable cause written by their arresting officers, which provided more details about the incident.

About 10:45 p.m. Monday, officers were attempting to secure the crime scene where the shooting took place when a crowd of about 30 people started becoming "increasingly disorderly and began to yell and became aggressive," one officer wrote. Because of the "disturbance," more people began coming out of their homes, swelling the crowd, the officer wrote.

All of the officers wrote that they repeatedly gave an order, also sent out from a police helicopter overhead, for people to disperse peacefully or face arrest, but that many of the onlookers "refused to do so."

According to a statement by Officer Steven Reed, one man among the crowd — who he identified as 21-year-old Michael Jobes — began "to pump up and agitate the crowd yelling profanities such as '[expletive] the police,' 'you mother [expletive] pigs' and 'Officer Reed, its ok you're the next one to get hit, your day is coming.'"

Reed wrote that he and other officers gave one final warning, then began making arrests as Jobes "continued to be irate."

Reed said he then deployed his taser, striking Jobes in the back with a single probe before taking him into custody.

A medic responded to the scene but Jobes refused treatment, Reed wrote.

Officer Brandon Bass, in his statement, wrote that he arrested Clarence Alston, 40, who he described as being "very hostile and unruly" and "the agitator of the group."


Officer Michael Yezzi, in his statement, wrote that he arrested Howard Hood, 21, who he said was part of the "unruly crowd."

Officer Daniel Belen, in his statement, wrote that he arrested Michael Jobes Jr., 20, for the same reason.

A police spokesman confirmed the names for Michael Jobes and Michael Jobes Jr. were both correct. He said he did not know if the two men are related.

All four men were taken to Central Booking for processing.

Online court records show charges only against Jobes Jr. and Alston, for disorderly conduct and failure to obey officers. Neither had an attorney listed, and could not be reached for comment.

Jobes Jr. is scheduled for trial on Sept. 4. Alston is scheduled for trial Aug. 3.

Jobes and Hood did not have charges from Monday listed in online records, and also could not be reached for comment.