Baltimore police shot and tased a man on the city's west side after police attempted to stop the vehicle the suspect was traveling in. The event occurred in the 1000 block of N. Fremont Avenue. (Amy Davis/Baltimore Sun video)

Baltimore police shot and tased a man Sunday afternoon on the city's west side after police attempted to stop the vehicle the suspect was traveling in.

Col. Garnell Green said little about the incident that unfolded in the 1000 block of N. Fremont Avenue, including what circumstances led to the confrontation that occurred around 12:30 p.m. The suspect was in a black Nissan Altima.


No officers were injured in the incident. The suspect was in critical, but stable condition at an unidentified local hospital.

"This investigation is early on," Green said. "We're still canvassing for witnesses, checking cameras, and we're asking anyone who has witnessed it to come forward."

Green would not say whether the suspect was armed, how many times he was shot or why officers attempted to pull the vehicle over.

"One of our officers initiated a car stop. During that car stop, the suspect got out of his vehicle," Green said. "What happens after that is still under investigation. What I can tell you right now is this: One of our officers did tase the suspect and another officer shot the suspect."

Crowds gathered close to the crime scene near the boarder between the city's Upton and Sandtown-Winchester neighborhoods. The edge of the crime scene was near a building with a large mural of Trayvon Martin pulling a hoodie over his head. The Florida teen was killed in 2012 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in a case that gained nationwide interest.

Sylvester Solomon, 63, was among those who gathered at the scene.

"This is happening a lot lately," said Solomon, who lives nearby.

Despite the crime in his neighborhood, he said he won't move.

"I feel safe because I trust God," he said. "There's no way I would stay in this neighborhood if I didn't trust God."

Solomon said he turned his own life around after being shot in the late 1970s while he was living in Miami. He rolled up his sweatshirt sleeve to show the scar where the bullet hit his wrist, calling the incident a "wake-up call."

Another neighbor, Eddie Richard, was helping people dig their cars out of the snow. He said he didn't see what happened.

"It's just another day in the neighborhood," said Richard, who moved to Baltimore from Georgia about three months ago.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 410-637-3097.