Man who claimed intervention in rape charged in the attack

Man who claimed intervention in rape charged in the attack
Corey Braxton, 23, of the 1500 block of N. Carey St., has been charged with first-degree rape in connection with an Aug. 26 attack on North Avenue.

As detectives were investigating a rape that had occurred in West Baltimore, the phone rang in the sex offense unit. On the line was a "concerned citizen" who said that a man named Corey Braxton had tried to help save a woman from being raped on North Avenue.

The victim, however, said there had been no such intervention. Police now had a suspect.


Braxton, 23, of the 1500 block of N. Carey St., is now charged with first-degree rape in connection with the Aug. 26 attack. Police said that, under questioning, he began banging his head against a wall and was taken for an emergency evaluation at a hospital.

The 60-year-old victim told police she was working on a home she is renovating on North Avenue when she went outside to smoke a cigarette about 1 a.m., police said in court records. When she walked back inside, the lights in the home were turned off, and a man grabbed her from behind.

The woman said he stabbed her with a box cutter then choked her until she passed out. She awoke to the man raping her. Police said in court records that the suspect said to her "Will you marry me?" and "I want to have kids with you." He instructed her to say she would.

She suffered serious injuries and required hospitalization, police said.

Police say in court documents that on Aug. 27, someone called the sex offense unit and stated that Corey Braxton helped save a woman who had been attacked on West North Avenue. The person said that Braxton told him that he was walking down the street when he heard a woman screaming for help, and that he tried to save the woman and was attacked by the suspect. Braxton, the caller said, suffered scratches to his face, arms and chest.

Police said Braxton later visited the Western District police station to talk to police, waived his Miranda rights, and gave an audio and video recorded statement in which he detailed an altercation with a man walking out of a home where a woman was screaming. He said he ran home, where he told his mother that he had just helped a woman from being raped and had been cut.

As he spoke, detectives observed a bite mark on his left shoulder. The victim said she had bitten her attacker.

Police told Braxton that they believed he was the suspect, and he began to cry and scream, police said in charging documents. He said he didn't use LifeStyles condoms — that was the brand of condom police found at the scene, but they had not told that to Braxton during his interview, police say. He also said he wanted to kill himself, according to police.

No attorney is listed for Braxton in court records.

Braxton has several prior arrests and was awaiting a September trial on charges of burglary and destruction of property from a July incident. He was free on $25,000 bond in that case.

He had received seven months in jail in June 2013 for second-degree assault. He was charged with attempted first-degree murder earlier in 2013; prosecutors dropped the charges.