Woman arrested, charged in fatal stabbing of husband inside Johns Hopkins Hospital

Woman arrested, charged in fatal stabbing of husband inside Johns Hopkins Hospital
Anita Nicole Jones, 30, was charged Saturday with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of her husband. (Handout)

A Baltimore woman has been arrested and charged in the fatal stabbing of her husband inside a room at Johns Hopkins Hospital on Friday, Baltimore police and hospital officials said Saturday.

Anita Nicole Jones, 30, was arrested Saturday and charged with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Christopher Yancey Sr., 33, police said.


Police were called to the world-famous East Baltimore hospital about 2:30 p.m. Friday after staff members heard a disturbance in a room in the hospital's pediatric unit, entered and found the man suffering from a stab wound to the upper body, police said.

Police said the couple's 14-year-old son was undergoing a minor procedure at the hospital, and that the boy's mother and father were alone in a room when the stabbing occurred. Police said Jones emerged from the room and told hospital staffers that Yancey had cut himself.

Yancey was pronounced dead shortly after he was discovered, police said.

Police said Jones left the hospital before officers arrived. No weapons were found at the scene.

An arrest warrant was later issued for Jones, and she was taken into custody Saturday.

in a statement, Kim Hoppe, a hospital spokeswoman, called the stabbing an "isolated incident."

"At no time were patients, staff or other visitors in danger," Hoppe said. "We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of the deceased. Since this is a police investigation, we must defer all inquiries to them.​"

It marked the 281st homicide in Baltimore in 2017. That is a record pace.

The hospital, which is consistently ranked among the best in the country and praised for its emergency care of victims wounded in the gun battles all around its East Baltimore campus, has seen violence breach its doors before.

The most high-profile incident occurred in 2010, when a Virginia man shot his mother's doctor, killed his mother and then killed himself.

That incident, in which witnesses said Paul Warren Pardus blamed the doctor for paralyzing his mother during surgery, led to an hours-long lockdown and snipers setting up positions on hospital buildings until a robot sent into the facility discovered Pardus and his mother were dead.

Dr. David B. Cohen survived being shot.

That incident prompted widespread discussions around the safety of medical providers.

In 2014, a man named Donald Wizeman, also from Virginia, was found fatally shot in an emergency room bathroom at the hospital. Investigators ruled his death a suicide.