Across city, shootings rattle neighborhoods

In this corner of East Baltimore, where vacant houses outnumber occupied residences, patients at a methadone clinic buzzed about the activity down the street where police investigated a killing. Women approached the crime scene tape blocking off the intersection of North Port and East Lafayette streets, anxious to find out if the victim was a relative.

The victim's legs and feet poked from underneath a sheet as detectives surveyed the scene. Later, with onlookers still watching from a distance, emergency personnel picked the lifeless body up by the arms and legs and put it on a gurney.


"He looks light-skinned," one woman said to a group of people. "I think he had braids."

As rumors flew around the neighborhood, official information was scant. A police spokesman said only that an unidentified man was shot at 11:30 a.m. and pronounced dead at the scene.

Baltimore went seven days without a homicide, until Monday. Three people were killed over the next 24 hours.

Across town, detectives were investigating the killing of a 17-year-old high school student Monday night. Devearl Singletary, a student at Augusta Fells Savage Institute for Visual Arts, was shot multiple times in the upper body at about 10 p.m. while in the 1400 block of Kuper Place in the Mount Clare neighborhood, police said.

Singletary is the second student from Augusta Fells to be killed in the past month. A teacher, who was not authorized to speak with the news media and so declined to give a name, said the school observed a moment of silence in the morning.

Few details were available, but police said that after he was shot, Singletary ran into the home of a friend in the 200 block of S. Calhoun St. The friend called police. Singletary later died at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Police also identified the man shot Monday afternoon in the 200 block of Belnord Ave. as 20-year-old Kevin Pierre. Attempts to reach his family were not successful.

Back in Broadway East, where the unknown man's body lay under a sheet, 48-year-old Yul Henderson said he has been trying to keep the neighborhood clean. He constructed a sidewalk garden — a shrine, he calls it — of bricks, tiles and broken pieces of mirror, all gathered around the neighborhood, with a tiger statue in the middle.

"For all the people around here, I want them to have something nice," he explains.

Henderson created the shrine in memory of his son, also named Yul, who was shot and killed in a robbery in 2007. He was 21 years old.

Sun reporter Mary Gail Hare contributed to this article.