After Baltimore workers gunned down, two more people shot dead, another injured in separate shootings, police say

A deadly weekend took shape in Baltimore.

The violence sparked when two city sanitation workers were gunned down — one fatally — Friday evening, with the shooting continuing late into the night with another person killed and a woman shot and picking back up Saturday morning when a young man was shot to death, police said.


Mayor Brandon Scott and Police Commissioner Michael Harrison showed up to the scene where two city employees were shot in North Baltimore to denounce the violence, but the gunfire continued. Police said an unidentified male was shot to death within the hour and, later that night, a woman was shot in her buttocks.

Saturday morning police announced another killing — the third of the nascent weekend — after they responded to the scene of a shooting only to find out a 24-year-old man had just died at a hospital.


Most of the violence occurred in Northwest Baltimore, according to police.

Officers assigned to the Northern District station were summoned to the area of York Road and East Cold Spring Lane around 7:25 p.m. Friday, police said. There were reports of a shooting and that’s when they found the city workers who’d been shot.

Police said one worker was a 37-year-old man, the other was a 38-year-old man. Both were taken to the hospital.

The 37-year-old died shortly after arriving, according to police. The other, a 38-year-old man, was in critical condition Friday night, as homicide detectives began investigating the killing.

About 20 minutes later, officers assigned to the Northwest District station responded to calls about a shooting in the 2900 block of Garrison Blvd.

Near the border of the city’s Garwyn Oaks and Hanlon-Longwoood neighborhoods, police said they found a 35-year-old woman who’d been shot in the buttocks.

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

Police said she was taken to a hospital, as shooting detectives assumed the investigation.

Around 11:14 p.m., police said they got a call about another shooting. Officers responded to the 3600 block of W. Forest Park Ave. — about a quarter of a mile from where the woman was shot.


Officers found an unidentified male who’d been shot, police said. He was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he died, prompting homicide detectives to assume the investigation.

Around 8:30 a.m. Saturday, police said, Northwest District officers responded to the 3400 block of Fairview Ave. — about a quarter-mile from the homicide about 10 hours before — for another shooting.

By the time they arrived, family members had taken a 24-year-old man to Sinai Hospital. Police said medical staff pronounced him dead not long after he arrived.

At the scene, police said, officers found evidence of a shooting. Homicide detectives assumed control of the investigation.

Police encouraged anyone with information about the homicides to call investigators at 410-396-2100. If someone wants to leave anonymous tips about any of the violence, they can dial 1-866-7LOCKUP to reach Metro Crime Stoppers.