Baltimore sees 6 fatalities since Friday as police report murder-suicide, MTA bus driver killed

At least six people were fatally shot in Baltimore since Friday, including a hostage situation that ended in a murder-suicide and the killing of a Maryland Transit Administration driver, for which police announced one arrest and the identity of a second suspect.

“It certainly goes without saying that the level of violence we’ve seen this weekend is troubling. It’s tragic. Our detectives have been working around the clock to bring justice and to find those responsible for the violence,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said Sunday.


Department officials said a 29-year-old man died after he was shot in the city’s Lauraville neighborhood Sunday, making him the sixth person shot dead over the weekend.

Officers patrolling the northeast neighborhood heard shots fired in the 4900 block of Herring Run Drive at 1:46 a.m., police said. Officers found the man who had been shot after arriving on the scene. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital and was pronounced dead by medical personnel, police wrote. The department did not identify the victim or a suspect in his death Sunday.


A 31-year-old man was found shot in the Liberty Square neighborhood in West Baltimore less than an hour later at 2:29 a.m. Police said officers responded to the 2500 block of Liberty Heights Ave. for a ShotSpotter alert and later found evidence of a shooting in the 1700 block of Gwynns Falls Parkway a few blocks away but no victim.

A short time later, police received a call for a shooting victim in the nearby 2000 block of N. Dukeland St. and found the man who had been shot. The department wrote that the man was taken to the hospital, where he was listed in “critical but stable condition.”

On Saturday, police reported a 30-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man were found fatally shot in a South Baltimore home in an apparent murder-suicide after a more than five-hour standoff with a police SWAT team.

Police said the standoff began a little after 10:30 a.m. when patrol officers responded to the 1600 block of Plum St. for a report of an armed man. The department said another man reported a male suspect had pointed a gun at him after an argument before running into his home. Harrison said Sunday that the incident began as a possible altercation between neighbors before the gunman took a woman hostage.

Police surrounded the house, and negotiators tried to get him to come out. More than five hours later, the SWAT team broke in and found the man and a woman dead. Police did not identify the two but said they believe the man shot the woman, then himself.

“In many cases we continue to see people solving their conflicts using handguns. … We’re asking and calling on people to put their handguns down. We’re asking anyone with information on any of these cases to call us right away,” Harrison said.

Also Saturday morning, a 58-year-old man was shot and killed in the Rosemont neighborhood of West Baltimore, police said. Officers were dispatched around 11 a.m. to the shooting in the 2900 block of Brighton St. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police did not identify him but said they believe his killer drove away in a dark SUV.


On Friday night, around 11:15 p.m., police found a man fatally shot in the 600 block of Arsan Ave. in the Brooklyn neighborhood of South Baltimore.

And about six hours before that, around 5:30 p.m., a 49-year-old bus driver was fatally shot in his van. Frankye Duckett, who was identified by his union, died at the hospital.

Duckett was sitting in his Maryland Transit Administration MobilityLink van when he was shot, police said.

On Sunday, police officials announced that 28-year-old Ernest Ford was arrested in connection with the killing while identifying a second suspect — 32-year-old Marquis Poteat — as wanted on murder charges.

Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott described the killing as “one of the most cowardly acts I have ever seen in Baltimore City.”

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

Police also reported a nonfatal shooting Friday morning in Northeast Baltimore just north of Lauraville. Officers were called shortly before 7:30 a.m. to the 2700 block of Rueckert Ave. They found a 23-year-old man inside a car, shot in the face.

He was hospitalized in stable condition, police said.

The department did not say whether the shooting Sunday in the same neighborhood is believed to be connected.

Police ask anyone with information on the homicides to call police at 410-396-2100 or leave an anonymous tip at 1-866-7LOCKUP.

Hours later Sunday, police were called to an area hospital for a walk-in shooting victim seeking treatment.


Police said they found a woman suffering from a gunshot wound. She is in stable condition, police said.

Eastern District shooting detectives are investigating the incident.