‘City of Baltimore has made the nation proud,' mayor says day after more than 1,000 gathered for protest

After rioting erupted in Baltimore in 2015, Brad Dickey was one of many residents who swept up broken glass and trash around North Avenue the following day.

Tuesday morning, after more than 1,000 people marched through downtown, Dickey, the pastor at Highland Community Church, feared destruction similar to 2015 and made plans to help clean up. Instead, he was pleased to find little work to do outside City Hall.


“A few people with the wrong motives can get people stirred up,” he said. “But we were all blown away. I would say we have learned a lot of lessons form the incidents in 2015 and have grown a lot as a city."

Damage appears to minimal compared to other cities that erupted into violence following widespread protests over the death of George Floyd, who died after a police officer knelt on his neck in Minneapolis last week. Baltimore Police said six were arrested, and did not report any major incidents during the protest.


“Over the course of the past four days, the City of Baltimore has made the nation proud, while pursuing justice and equal treatment under the law,” Bernard C. “Jack” Young said in a statement Tuesday.

Young credited the Baltimore Police Department’s response, as well as local activists, “who risked their personal safety to help maintain peace and calm during tense moments when a few agitators sought to cause trouble. They are true heroes who love Baltimore,” Young said.

Later in the day, Young and Harrison released a video of residents corralling an unruly protester and helping police make an arrest.

Gov. Larry Hogan, who had called in Maryland National Guard troops to Baltimore five years earlier, also remarked on the city’s large peaceful protests Tuesday.

“Yesterday, Baltimore set an example for our nation. Thousands of young people and community leaders expressed their frustrations peacefully, while working with police to stand up to a handful of extremists with a violent agenda. This is how real, positive change happens,” Hogan said on Twitter.

He also credited Baltimore Police, and other lawn enforcement agencies, and “Baltimore’s residents, who are showing the power of a strong, compassionate, and united community.”

While the night was mostly calm, shortly after 10 p.m., some protesters encountered police with riot gear at Baltimore and South Streets, and fireworks were shot in the direction of police. Reporters on the ground observed community members try to stop those responsible. Some protesters walked one man to a group of police stationed around City Hall.

Maryland State Police responded to the crowd that remained downtown after officer an saw “members in the crowd setting off illegal fireworks and throwing objects near peaceful protesters and officers," Baltimore police said on Twitter during the protest.


The police department said a group had been ordered to disperse or be subject to arrest.

Police charged Dyllan Hildebrand, 29, of Dundalk, with second-decree assault after saying he pushed an officer to the ground, said police spokesman Det. Donny Moses. He said Hildebrand was also charged with failure to obey a lawful order.

George Augusta Patterson Jr., 37, of Baltimore, was arrested while carrying a long gun. Police arrested four other people and charged them with failure to obey.

None of the six people arrested Monday had attorneys listed in online court records.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

Chris Davis, a youth pastor at Eastern Assembly of God church in Dundalk, said he was watching social media and news outlets Monday evening, concerned about the potential for violence and destruction with such large crowds.


“We were hoping and praying that things stayed peaceful,” he said.

Davis said the church does a lot of outreach in the city, and did not want to see widespread destruction.

“All it takes is one person," he said. “But I was really proud to see it remain peaceful,” he said.

When he, Dickey and about a dozen others from four local churches arrived outside City Hall Tuesday morning, he said they found not much more a few broken windows. City crews were already at work removing some graffiti. The group of volunteers still managed to collect nearly 30 bags of trash.

“It was impressive," he said.

Correction: Due to incorrect information supplied by Baltimore Police, earlier versions of this story misstated the charges filed against Dyllan Hildebrand. Police charged him with second-degree assault and failure to obey a lawful order. The Baltimore Sun regrets the error.