Police officer shot in thigh in East Baltimore released from Johns Hopkins Hospital Tuesday

A Baltimore Police officer who was shot in the thigh Friday afternoon while responding to a mental health crisis call in East Baltimore was released from the Johns Hopkins Hospital, the department announced on Facebook Tuesday.

Department staff and fellow officers saluted the injured officer as he left the hospital. The department did not identify the officer by name because he is a shooting victim, said Lindsey Eldridge, a police spokesperson, although the department did release several photographs of him coming out of the hospital in a wheelchair. He has been in stable condition at the hospital since Friday with injuries that were not life-threatening.


Deputy Police Commissioner Richard Worley credited another officer, whose name was also not released, who treated the injured officer’s wounds at the scene.

“We continue to pray for (the officer) and his family as he begins his road to recovery,” the department wrote in a Facebook post.


Mike Mancuso, president of the Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police, said on Twitter Sunday that the officer is “doing well and is in good spirits” with the support of his family.

On Friday, Eastern District officers responded around 12:05 p.m. to a call about a person suffering from a “behavioral crisis” at a residence in the 1100 block of East Chase Street in the Johnston Square neighborhood.

A woman wanted her 19-year-old relative out of her home because he did not take his medication and was “acting violently,” Worley said Friday. Authorities declined to say how the two are related. She met officers outside of the house and provided them with a protective order she has against the man, who was inside the home.

“As (officers) entered the house, the individual attempted to elude the officers,” Worley said. “A struggle ensued as they tried to take him into custody. During the struggle, he was able to get to a weapon that he had on his person [and] shot one of our officers in the leg.”

Another responding police officer, who is in field training, applied a tourniquet to the injured officer’s leg and “probably saved the officer’s life,” Worley said. Police took the officer to a hospital, Worley said.

Baltimore’s police union, Lodge 3 of the Fraternal Order of Police, said Friday that the officer was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, which is several blocks away from where the shooting occurred.

The suspect was taken into custody without officers firing their weapons, and he wasn’t injured, Worley said. The man is currently undergoing a psychiatric evaluation. Police are determining if the 19-year-old was in legal possession of the gun.

Baltimore Sun reporter Lilly Price contributed to this article.