Baltimore Police officer in critical condition after shooting; investigation continues after Lansdowne search

Baltimore police continued Friday to investigate Thursday’s shooting of an off-duty sergeant, who remained in critical condition.

The investigation led police to Lansdowne, where an officer saw a vehicle that looked similar to the description of the one allegedly driven by the suspect in the shooting, Baltimore Police spokesman Detective Jeremy Silbert said. Police said Sgt. Isaac Carrington was shot Thursday in an attempted robbery outside his home in the northeast neighborhood of Frankford.


Police did not announce any charges in the shooting Friday.

At about 11:15 a.m., a Southern District officer on patrol saw a vehicle that was similar to the one used by the suspects in the shooting. Police said previously they were looking for a vehicle, possibly an Acura.


The officer attempted to pull the vehicle over, but it did not stop, Silbert said.

The vehicle was later located in southwest Baltimore County. After a search of the area, police said two people were taken into custody.

“At this time we are not able to confirm this is the vehicle involved in the shooting,” Silbert said.

Carrington, 43 and a 22-year veteran of the department, was shot Thursday outside his home in the 5600 block of Summerfield Ave. in Northeast Baltimore. Police said he was speaking to a neighbor when a car pulled onto the street and at least one masked male pulled out a gun and attempted to rob them.

The neighbor threw what he had to the ground and took off running, while Carrington ran in the opposite direction, police said. The gunman followed Carrington and shot him multiple times. Carrington was later taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Carrington had another surgery Friday morning at Shock Trauma, said Baltimore police spokesman Detective Donny Moses. The sergeant is listed in critical condition, the hospital said.

The Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 tweeted just after noon Saturday that Carrington’s condition was stable and “he has been responding to medical staff requests to squeeze their hands.”

On Friday, police searched a wooded area in the 2700 block of Park Drive before two people were taken into custody. Late Friday, police said the individuals have been ruled out as suspects in Carrington’s shooting and are being held on unrelated criminal charges.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

More than a dozen police cars had lined the street by noon as helicopters circled overhead. Officers wearing bulletproof vests and carrying rifles appeared to search the wooded residential area, and K-9 units were on the scene.

Among the crowd of bystanders was Dr. James Perkins, owner of Perkins Dental Care, which was surrounded by patrol cars, its parking lot cordoned off by crime scene tape.

Perkins said he stepped outside around lunchtime to see what was happening. The police presence was a bit disruptive to his practice Friday afternoon, he said, but he was hopeful police would apprehend the suspect they sought.

“[It's] more police than I’ve ever seen,” he said.

Back in the officer’s neighborhood in Frankford, a marked city police car was parked outside Carrington’s home.

The officer’s family remains at Shock Trauma. Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 President Sgt. Mike Mancuso said he’s also been at the hospital with the officer’s family.


Baltimore Sun reporter Christine Condon contributed to this article.