Baltimore Police sergeant shot in robbery attempt is released from hospital but has long recovery ahead

Baltimore Police Sgt. Isaac Carrington, who was shot multiple times during an apparent robbery while off duty, left the hospital Wednesday afternoon but still faces a long road of recovery, officials said.

“He’s got a ways to go," said Dr. Thomas Scalea, the physician-in-chief at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, who less than two weeks ago held a somber press conference announcing Carrington was on life support.


“He got badly injured. The end of the hospitalization is only the end of the hospitalization," said Scalea, who personally attended Carrington’s treatment. “This is not him making his full recovery. This is not him going back to work. This is one step."

On Wednesday, dozens of police officers and first responders turned out in a show of support for Carrington, who saluted them before entering an ambulance. Carrington was being taken from the hospital to a rehabilitation center, police spokesman Matt Jablow said.


No arrests have been made in the Aug. 8 attack and police are still asking for the public’s help finding suspects.

Sgt. Isaac Carrington is released from Shock Trauma to an honor guard of law enforcement and first responders on August 21, 2019. (Ulysses Muñoz, Baltimore Sun)

Carrington, 43, was off duty and standing outside his home in the 5600 block of Summerfield Ave. just before 3:30 p.m. when he was shot. Police said that while he was talking with a neighbor, a car pulled onto the street and at least one masked male pulled out a gun and attempted to rob them.

In the past two weeks, Carrington has undergone several surgeries at Shock Trauma.

“I think we are all somewhat relieved. Certainly, Sgt. Harrington has a long way to go for a full recovery," Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said.

The commissioner provided few details about the ongoing investigation into the shooting.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

“Our investigators continue to work this investigation for any information leading to the arrest of the person who did this to our sergeant,” Harrison said.

Harrison asked for anyone with information that would help identify and lead to the arrest of the suspects to come forward.


Moments before Harrison spoke Carrington was seen sitting upright in a hospital gurney being wheeled out of the ambulance bay entrance. A crowd of mostly silent officers, some in uniforms, others in suits or plainclothes and police vests, awaited him.

Scalea and Harrison could be seen talking to Carrington in the back of the ambulance. Another officer held a bunch of balloons that said “Get Well.”

Then five department motorcycles roared to life, turned onto West Lombard Street and lead the officer’s entourage, which included several marked police vehicles.

Two woman, who did not appear to be with the department, stood across the street and cheered as the ambulance pulled away.