Man fatally shot by Baltimore police this week led officers on perilous high-speed chase before, records show

Police identified the suspect on Thursday as Tyrone Domingo Banks, 30, of the 2200 block of E. Biddle Street. He led police on a similarly dangerous chase that endangered officers four years earlier, court records show. 
- Original Credit:

Tyrone Banks led police on a 100 mph chase through four districts in 2015, blowing a red light on Reisterstown Road, striking police cruisers and a civilian car, then taking off on foot as police boxed him in traffic. Officers took him down with a Taser and filed a barrage of criminal charges, records show.

Banks was back behind the wheel on Reisterstown Road again this week, Baltimore Police said, twice leading them on high-speed chases and at least once charging his car toward officers. Only this time Banks had a gun, police said, firing it at least once when officers tried to stop him.


Baltimore Police on Thursday identified Banks, 30, as the man killed by officers Wednesday night after he led them on a dangerous chase, just days after investigators said he fired at an officer and tried to run over another early Tuesday morning.

Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said officers encountered Banks at Fayette and North Caroline streets. He got out of his car briefly, and officers began firing at Banks, Harrison said.


Banks then got back into his vehicle and drove around the corner down Caroline Street as officers chased him. He stopped about a block away, where officers unleased a volley of shots, killing him, Harrison said.

Just a day prior, police said, Banks tried to strike an officer who stopped a car in the 2400 block of Reisterstown Road. Minutes later, another officer who was patrolling a little over a mile away noticed the same vehicle and began to approach.

Police said Banks got out of the car and began firing a handgun. The officer was able to back his patrol car away in time to not get hit.

The incidents mirror a chase from May 22, 2015, when Banks was charged with numerous traffic violations, assault and resisting arrest, court records show.

Back then an officer saw Banks speeding at 70 mph before running a red light on Reisterstown Road in Northwest Baltimore. When police tried stopping him, he took off, according to charging documents in the case. Banks damaged at least two police cars during the pursuit, “ran civilian vehicles off the road” and “attempted multiple times to ram marked units," according to court charging documents.

The department’s helicopter, Foxtrot, hovered above, but eventually ran low on fuel.

According to court records from the time, officers surrounded Banks’ vehicle, but he shifted into reverse and struck a police car. He got out and ran, but police officers chased him and used a Taser on him.

He was taken to Sinai Hospital and treated. Banks told staff “he drank antifreeze prior in the day," the document said.


In 2010, Banks was charged with two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of second-degree assault involving law enforcement. He appears to have been held for a time at Spring Grove Hospital Center, a psychiatric hospital, records show.

Banks was ultimately found not criminally responsible on the second-degree assault charges, but details of that case were not available Thursday.

For the 2015 chase, Banks was convicted of assault, malicious destruction of property and resisting arrest, and sentenced in November 2016 to three years in prison and five years of probation, records show.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

He was released in October 2017, said Paul R. Starks, a state prisons spokesman. On Aug. 21, he met with his probation officer, Starks said.

Beginning sometime in 2016, Banks lived for about a year and a half in the upstairs unit of a Northwest Baltimore duplex subsidized by People Encouraging People, a nonprofit behavioral health care organization, said his neighbor, Walter Collins, who lives downstairs. A spokesperson for the nonprofit declined to comment.

Collins said he got Banks a job as a front-desk attendant working the midnight shift at a condominium on Park Heights Avenue. Banks was “a little disturbed," but he was popular with the condo’s elderly residents, Collins said, and he was surprised to hear about his death and the circumstances.


“Everybody liked him. He was a well-mannered fellow,” Collins said. “Everything changes.”

Banks was charged again in March with second-degree assault, according to court records. He allegedly got into an altercation with the mother of his children, who was also pregnant with another child of his. She told police he started breaking lamps and a table with a baseball bat, and then he sat on her and choked her, according to charging documents in that case. She was later taken to the hospital after experiencing stomach pain, the document said.

The woman could not be reached, and members of Banks’ family declined to comment Thursday.

Baltimore Sun reporter Colin Campbell contributed to this article.