Baltimore Police: Two arrested after man bites officer and elbows another

Baltimore Police say two men were arrested Tuesday afternoon after an officer was bitten and another was elbowed in the eye during an incident in the Lakeland neighborhood.

Police spokesman Detective Donny Moses said officers were dispatched to the intersection of West Patapsco Avenue and Hollins Ferry Road in Southwest Baltimore at 4:55 p.m. for a report of a person in the middle of the road.


Commissioner Michael Harrison later described the report as a squeegee complaint.

Officers arrived on the scene and warned squeegee workers to not stand in the street and to disturb the drivers that did not want their windows cleaned, according to a police report.


As one of the officers approached a man seen standing in the street and tried to get him to move to the sidewalk, Moses said the man attacked the officer and bit him several times on the arm.

A second officer who came into assist was elbowed in the eye, Moses said.

As police were struggling with the man, Moses said, a second man came up to officers and tried to hinder the man’s detainment. Moses did not offer specifics, but said the two officers were injured during the initial confrontation with the first man.

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

The two men were eventually arrested and will be charged with assaulting police officers, Moses said. The two officers were not seriously injured.

The officers were “in good spirits” Wednesday, Harrison said in a statement.

“I expect these suspects to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law," Harrison said. "I support the actions of these officers and am proud of the level of professionalism they displayed, even when under attack.”

Harrison said violence against police will not be tolerated.

“As a community, we must come together to support our police officers and make clear that we will not stand for this type of behavior,” Harrison said.


Moses said he did not have the identities of the two men because they were not cooperating with officers.

Baltimore Sun reporter Lillian Reed contributed to this article.