Baltimore Police charge man with first-degree murder; court documents detail alleged attack outside a shop

Baltimore Police have charged a man with first-degree murder, saying he and another man attacked Dionte Green, 40, who died in December after he was found unresponsive and unconscious near the Seton Hill neighborhood.

Alante Batson, 22, of Baltimore is charged with first-degree murder in relation to Green’s death, court documents obtained by The Baltimore Sun state.


According to the charging documents, Green was walking in front of the Downtown Mini Mart store on the unit block of N. Howard St. on Nov. 24 when he was attacked by Batson and a man referred to as “June Bug.”

Alante Batson, 22, of Baltimore is charged with first-degree murder in relation to Dionte Green’s 2020 death. (Baltimore Police photo)

The three men scuffled, court documents state, and after Green was first knocked down, the two men walked with Green to the 200 block of Lexington St. about two blocks away. Green was later found unconscious and unresponsive by a passerby, court documents state.


Green was taken to the hospital with severe injuries to his head and died Dec. 2 after falling into a coma. The Chief Medical Examiner’s Office this month ruled his death a homicide via blunt-force trauma.

Investigators wrote that surveillance footage caught some of the incident, including the initial scuffle in front of the store as well as the two men shaking hands as they walk away from Green’s unconscious body on Lexington Street.

Charging documents state that the day after Green died, officers obtained Green’s cellphone while following up on a call regarding his missing person’s report. Investigators wrote that an investigation into Green’s social media accounts and cellphone revealed Batson as one of the suspects in the attack.

Police wrote that Batson and his friend “June Bug” assaulted Green and that Batson admitted to taking Green’s property from him, including his cellphone.

Batson, of the 6400 block of York Road, was arrested in the 4100 block of Patterson Ave. on Saturday, Baltimore Police said Monday night in a news release.

Batson was transported to the homicide section at police headquarters where he was interviewed, then transported to Central Booking, where he is being held without bail, the release said.

The Public Defender’s Office, which is listed as representing Batson in the case, declined to comment Monday.