Police identify 1-year-old killed in Cherry Hill shooting; one arrest made

Three men wearing latex gloves, two in hooded sweat shirts, fired at least 16 shots as Rashaw Scott sat in the driver's seat of a parked red Chevrolet — his 16-month-old son, Carter, was in the back passenger seat — in what police say was a targeted shooting that left the child dead.

Scott, 22, of Harlem Park, described the scene inside the Cherrydale Apartments complex in South Baltimore to police before he was admitted to surgery, according to an arrest warrant obtained Sunday. Scott, who suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the shooting Friday, was listed in critical condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center on Sunday.

Carter was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to his leg. The child was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was pronounced dead about an hour after the shooting.

City leaders and neighbors expressed outrage at the shooting, with a spokesman for Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake calling it "senseless and cowardly."

Police arrested a suspect, 20-year-old Eddie Tarver, of the 200 block of Cherry Hill Road. He was charged with first- and second-degree murder and related charges. A preliminary hearing in Baltimore District Court is scheduled for June 21. No attorney for Tarver is listed in online court records.

A former teammate and coaches who know Tarver saw his booking photo and confirmed Tarver had been a standout shooting guard on the St. Frances Academy basketball team.

A search for the other suspects continued over the holiday weekend.

Across the street from Scott's rowhouse in the 1000 block of Edmondson Avenue on Sunday, neighbor Tierra Wilson stood outside her front stoop, wrapping sheets of aluminum foil around a grill rack for a barbecue dinner. On a normal spring night, Wilson said, the Scott family, who lived as multiple generations under one roof, would be spending time outdoors.

Wilson said the child's death was heartbreaking, but not shocking in a city with such a notoriously high crime rate. Wilson said she and her wife want to move their family outside the city.

"A bullet has no one's name on it," Wilson said.

Police did not release information on a possible motive in the shooting. Shortly before 7:30 p.m. Friday, an officer patrolling the area in an unmarked car heard a gunshot and soon found a male, dressed in a brown hoodie, firing into the front of the parked Chevy, according to the warrant. A second male, wearing a white long-sleeved shirt, was firing into the driver's-side window.

The suspects ran north through the parking lot of the apartment complex and toward a tree-lined fence, the warrant said. Officers attempted to cut off their escape route, and the suspects turned around to run back toward the parking lot.

Tarver ran south in the 2500 block of Giles Road, where he opened the front passenger-side door of a gray Toyota Solara, which was left running, according to the warrant.

As officers closed in on him, the document said, Tarver slid into the driver's seat and drove toward Cherry Hill Road.

From there, police, aided by a helicopter, followed the Toyota until Tarver's car hit a parked car in the 2700 block of Winchester Avenue, approximately six miles from the scene of the shooting. At that point, police apprehended Tarver, who was wearing a gray long-sleeved hoodie and one latex glove, the warrant said.

Scott told police from the hospital that a male wearing a gray hoodie was one of the three shooters, according to the warrant. Police have said they believe the shooting was not random.

Tarver's mother, Tonya Gettis, said Sunday that she was still trying to understand what happened.

"I'm not sure what's going on," she said when reached by phone. "I know my son's not a murderer."

Gettis said she did not know Rashaw Scott or how her son might have known him.

"My heart goes out to the family," she said. "It's not to say my son did it. As a human, I can't help but feel for the family. ... It's a lot to digest."

Wayne Sparrow, who played basketball with Tarver at St. Frances, described Tarver as "playful" — not the type of person to be involved in the crime police described.

"This is quite shocking to me," said Sparrow, 21. "Eddie was so calm and so mellow around people. He never had a grudge or anything."

Tarver played through his senior year at the independent Catholic high school in East Baltimore's Johnston Square neighborhood in 2011.

Tarver pleaded guilty in September 2011 to possession of a stolen handgun and was sentenced to two years of supervised probation, online court records show. He also faces drug possession charges in Baltimore Circuit Court and first- and second-degree assault from a Jan. 21 incident in Washington County.

Court records show that Scott, the victim, also known as Davon Greene, was charged in July 2011 with a killing that occurred March 29, 2011. Scott was charged with first- and second-degree murder and related counts and was acquitted of all charges by a jury in late October.

A woman who answered the door at Scott's house Sunday declined to comment.

Less than a block from Scott's house, churchgoers from Solid Rock Apostolic Faith Church were gathered, after a service, on the sidewalk where young boys — wearing pressed shirts and slacks and dress shoes — raced one another up and down the street.

James Ellis, and his wife, Diana, of Pikesville, said Baltimore violence needs a solution: City neighborhoods need more police on foot patrols, more security cameras and more recreation centers for children to play. But more than that, James Ellis said, community members must be invested in programs that can have a positive impact on young people and their families.

"It's a lack of hope; they don't see a vision for their future," Ellis said. "What they see is right there before them. They need to see opportunity."

Said Diana Ellis, "There are lives ending early every day, either by death or jail."

At their church, Monica Bland runs a program, Advancing Minds Striving for Success, where children and teens grow flowers and vegetables. Together, they plant the seeds in a garden next to the church. Then, they harvest them.

"People must become stakeholders in their community," said Bland, of the Evergreen neighborhood.

The Rev. Barbara A. Abraham of Solid Rock said Friday's shooting is "very disturbing."

"Our young people need guidance," she said. "They need somewhere where they can get some hope."

Baltimore Sun reporters Matt Bracken and Ian Duncan contributed to this article.




Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad